jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

How many times in the past 2012 years there was worldwide "end of the world" rum

1. edekeful profile image81
    edekefulposted 5 years ago

How many times in the past 2012 years there was worldwide "end of the world" rumours?

I have an interesting question. Who knows how many times since year 0 (so it's in a 2012 years period) there was a world wide "end of the world" rumours. I know 2, year 2000 and 2012:) Thanks for answers.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 5 years ago

The most I can find is 244 predictions. This counts 12-21-12.

3. Goody5 profile image71
    Goody5posted 5 years ago

Just like you edekeful, there's only two that I recall - the predicted computer failure in 2000, and the Mayan calendar ending tomorrow on December 21st 2012.

4. Andrea Rose profile image68
    Andrea Roseposted 5 years ago

I bet there have been a ton of them but I can only recall three dates, Y2k, 12/12/12, and 12/21/12. I do remember though that when I was in high school they would always through doomsday parties. I think they just wanted some excuse to have a party.

5. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 5 years ago

An interested subject to research.  I can't recall how many I've heard about over the years.  Quite often it has been instigated by some minor cult figure and passed around that the world will end to their followers.   At a guess, I'd say I've heard of a least half-a-dozen times where it's made the newspapers.   And I expect there were other instances what were simply regarded as not worth publication.

But what does the end of the world mean anyway?   Are we talking human habitation?   All living things, including the insects, and bacteria?   Are we talking about a world denuded of all flora - grass, trees, soil?    Are we talking of a globe shattered into a million fragments to circle as a sort of asteroid belt around the sun?   It's all very vague.