jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Should the school year be reorganised?

1. TFScientist profile image89
    TFScientistposted 5 years ago

Should the school year be reorganised?

The current system of a looooooong summer holiday is a throwback from when farmers needed their children to help them with harvesting their crop. Now Parents are stuck with (at least) six weeks with their kids out of school, leaving issues with childcare etc. Is there an argument for adjusting the school year to spread holiday out? Or do kids(or teachers) even NEED such a large amount of holiday?

2. littlething profile image85
    littlethingposted 5 years ago

I think not. Some schools have gone to a three month three week system. They go to school for three months and then have three weeks off. It seems to work out well for them.

3. Knightheart profile image76
    Knightheartposted 5 years ago

Research has shown that extending the school year to 12 months from 9 does nothing.  Our city had one school district that did this for over 20 years and test scores, etc. were no better than the traditional school systems.  But, the costs of running a school all year are much higher, especially during the hot summer months around here, plus tourism is affected since vacation times are limited.   Teachers, now are paid on a 9 month work year, even though most have that stretched so payments are spread out over 12, but adding 3 months more work will increase the major expense of any school district...employee salaries...another 25% since school employees will be working 3 extra months (25% of the traditional school year). 

So, in view of many studies and first hand knowledge of seeing a school using this new calendar, showing no academic gains whatsoever, the costs of extending the school year just places more financial hardships on our overburdened school systems.  As for the 3 months off, most teachers are NOT getting a holiday...most are going back to school to further their educations and bring new ideas to the classroom.  The vast majority do not sit on their butts and sip wine coolers at the side of some pool in Hawaii...no, most are attending workshops, taking classes, etc.   Sorry, that myth about teachers getting a huge summer PAID vacation just makes me sick.

1. TFScientist profile image89
      TFScientistposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just to cool you off a little...I AM a science teacher. And in the uk the summer hols are only 6 weeks long.

4. HoneyBB profile image97
    HoneyBBposted 5 years ago

I think kids should have more time off during the winter seasons when snow and ice make going to school dangerous. It makes no sense to give them so much time off during seasons when safety is not an issue and then have them go when roads are slippery.

working