jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Do you think that the importance of having a college degree is over-rated?

1. Hawaiian Scribe profile image94
    Hawaiian Scribeposted 5 years ago

Do you think that the importance of having a college degree is over-rated?

2. dragonflyfla profile image75
    dragonflyflaposted 5 years ago

I think it is overpriced! But, learning is alway important. What is the value of a degree and why does it have value? Everyone who has access to the internet has access to the information a degree would offer. But, the degree gives proof you went through the steps of learning. What cracks me up is licensing. For instance a teacher goes through college to obtain a teaching degree and then not only has to pay to be license for each subject they wish to teach, but they also have to pass some pseudo test in each subject!  So, why can't the teacher bypass the degree altogether (most require at least a BA) and just take the test? If they pass it, then in theory it qualifies them to teach.  POLITICS thats why.

Hawaiian Scribeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree that the college system is haywire.  You bring up a good point about the internet.  Since so much info is available online, much of what one learns in the classroom is open to everyone on the web. It's not about knowledge; it's about power.

3. danajconnelly profile image70
    danajconnellyposted 5 years ago

I have 2 masters degrees. I have busted my hump to pay off all of my student loans. I have friends that got a GED and entered the workforce who are making significantly more than I am. Is a college degree over-rated now? In my opinion, yes. The experience of college is more about developing who you know than what you know, so why go into debt for it when you can make similar connections by just working your ass off....

I admire you for your diligence in pursuing 2 masters degrees & repaying your loans.  I agree that, depending on the position, someone who gets hired without a degree can have 4 yrs of experience by the time the person in school gets their degree

4. lburmaster profile image85
    lburmasterposted 5 years ago

Not at all. I've never seen someone with a college degree have a bad job.

Wow, are you kidding?  I've lived in Hawaii and California and have seen many college grads on unemployment or working in underpaying jobs.  Thanks for your reply anyway.  Aloha, Stephanie

5. crickette_w profile image76
    crickette_wposted 5 years ago

I do think it has become overwhelming...the cost of the tuition...the required amount of credits at a time...the studies that are required that have nothing to do with the major one is seeking....We used to have work study programs where one right out of high school who didn't want to go to college could fit right in and start learning on an apprentise program...now, most companies require college degrees even though they are not offering a job that requires extra study....anyone could do it...
    The work study programs would be task specific and you could work through all areas of an occupation, one certificate at a time...this hands on study, if thought about, is much more productive in producing skills for the specific job...

Answer to question...I think it is over-rated...and has become a very burecratic requirement...

I agree that tuition is through the roof and ridiculous.  College is a big-time business supported by government and ripping off students and parents. Most jobs requiring college degrees overhype the need for a degree. Voted yours the best answer.

2. crickette_w profile image76
      crickette_wposted 5 years agoin reply to this

thank you very much...for the best answer...I appreciate it and do agree with your comment...the young ones suffer....in the end...

6. Vellur profile image90
    Vellurposted 5 years ago

When you apply for a job, they look at your resume and see what qualifications you have. This is important for being selected for a job. Added to this they take into account your qualification for promotions in certain offices.

working