jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do People Eat in groups but prefer to bathe alone in privacy in most of the

1. wittywit profile image75
    wittywitposted 4 years ago

Why do People Eat in groups but prefer to bathe alone in privacy in most of the cultures?

2. stanwshura profile image75
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Eating is often a group experience, where dining includes social intercourse.  Bathing is largely functional - a necessity to get over and done with.  It doesn't have to be thus, but then bathing as a social event, the practical matter of space aside, would tend to be better described not as social, but very, very intimate, as most imaginable between lovers, and may very well lead to intercourse of an entirely different nature!

3. Savio Dawson profile image90
    Savio Dawsonposted 4 years ago

Hi wittywit,

Simply because I would rather show my heart than my body!! :-)

Eating together is about sharing and caring. In addition, the fact that we get to talk with family members or friends around that time.

I cannot think of an equally social interaction during bathing other than scrubbing the back. :-) That again, I assume you would want to do it yourself.

If you look at history though, there are many examples of group ablution around temples and places of worship. This is seen even today around the River Ganges in India, which is considered holy. So, group bathing was a reality sometime in the past and continues in some cultures even today.

4. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 4 years ago

It may indeed have its roots in our fall from Eden...

5. lburmaster profile image82
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

Eating is not as imposing or mind scaring as bathing. Eating is a common practice that is more necessary than bathing, unless you have a sweating problem or something. Bathing is sharing access to your body to others that you do not know. That is horrifying.