jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

Should administrator dismiss elementary, jr high, high students after severe sto

1. brakel2 profile image80
    brakel2posted 4 years ago

Should administrator dismiss elementary, jr high, high students after severe storm warning in area?

2. MickS profile image71
    MickSposted 4 years ago

I don't know how the system works in other countries, but when I taught in the UK, until a child is passed over to the parent or guardian, or person appointed by the parent or guardian, when school finishes, the school authorities are still in loco parentis.

1. MickS profile image71
      MickSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I forgot to add the point, the school authorities are expected to behave as normal parents.  Would normal parents allow children outside in stormy or threatening stormy weather?

3. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

I believe the system in the US works as Mick says the UK does. No, unless released to a parent or appointed guardian, then no, I would not want my children relased from school.

But, I have to say, in an area known for killer tornadoes, it seems that the school should have adequate shelters for safety - and not a hallway.

4. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 4 years ago

No. Because then they have to leave the school while the severe storm warning is out. That is putting the child in danger.

5. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

In our area they lock the schools down until the storm warnings pass and I think that's probably the safest option although it tends to peeve a lot of the parents.  So far, despite our tornado prone location, I have only ever had my son on lockdown due to storms one time in 8 years so I was really shocked at the number of parents throwing tantrums about it.  Seriously? You want to take your kid on the road when there are those kind of storms in the area? or better yet send them on a bus? Some people just don't take the threats seriously.  Maybe the tragic occurrence in Moore OK will get people to be a bit more serious.

6. agovoni profile image60
    agovoniposted 4 years ago

Absolutely not.  The storms can hit so fat after or during a warning that it would place the children in more danger.  What should happen is the schools should be made to install bunkers for the children and school staff.  They can be safe there until the storm passes.  Several schools do this already.

7. profile image72
    ElleBeeposted 4 years ago

I think there is both merit and danger in this plan.  What happens for the kindergartener who arrives home while mom is still at work and is now stuck outside?  The kids who have to walk home from school? The rural school system where kids spend an hour on a bus to get home?  Seems that they'd be safer in the school, and I fully agree with Duffsmom, that schools should have adequate emergency shelter for the types of emergencies which are common in their area.

1. brakel2 profile image80
      brakel2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

The only way it could work is if there is enough warning for parents to leave work and pick  up children. However, all their cars would be lined up at school, so that procedure could take forever.

working