When will stalking and harassment laws catch up with modern technology?

1. ChristinS profile image94
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

When will stalking and harassment laws catch up with modern technology?

It is very easy to harass people via email and other means. You can change emails and keep it up etc. and there is no law against this behavior. I see it as harassment - when a troll or bully decides to constantly bombard you with emails, messages etc. They can even fake FB posts that appear to come from you and get away with that. Should harassment laws modernize to catch up with those who seek to cyber harass people? Isn't this a doorway for cyber bullies to exploit?

2. JayeWisdom profile image91
    JayeWisdomposted 4 years ago

I agree that harassment laws should include cyber-harassment, especially since this behavior has caused numerous teen suicides. That seems (to me) to place it within the criminal realm.

I'm in a minority because I don't use Facebook or Twitter and am very selective about who has my email address. In addition, I keep the spam filter turned on, and it's usually effective. As far as I know, there's no way to keep some horrid person from faking a post with your name on it.  Depending on whether or not this fraud is libelous, it might be actionable. 

Technology has disadvantages as well as advantages, and a lack of privacy is becoming the norm for anyone who isn't totally off the grid.

Jaye

3. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

Very good question. Our state is finally starting to pass laws that concern technological criminal actions such as you describe, however, I think the problem here will be enforcement. It is difficult enough to get our law enforcement system to enforce the non-cyber stalking and bullying laws on the books. We can only hope that it doesn't take a rash of suicides before they get serious about enforcement.

working