jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Opinions on how to stop the Rise of CO2 in the atmosphere?

1. profile image59
    Fuginagasakiposted 4 years ago

Opinions on how to stop the Rise of CO2 in the atmosphere?

I am not a biologist I am merely interested in this topic so any answer will do... please try to keep it realistic though

2. junkseller profile image86
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

Our economy is based on carbon, therefore the simple answer is to destroy the carbon economy. How? Again it is simple. Shift to local and sustainable food production, energy production, and waste and water management systems, and build compact cities based on mass transit and pedestrian traffic.

Of course the most powerful people and corporations on the planet are filthy rich from the carbon economy and so any of these changes will require that those masters either step aside willingly or be destroyed. Good luck with that.

1. profile image59
      Fuginagasakiposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So what about alternative fuel sources like hydrogen, wind, solar? could they be used to slow the effects while trying something as simple as more trees because from what I understand, the bark of plants its really nothing more than CO2 storage

junksellerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Plants are largely cellulose which is partly carbon. Decaying plant material ends up accumulating in the soil as organic matter, so, yes, more plants would help but we'd have to leave landscapes alone and as it is we are still destroying them.

3. profile image59

That seems almost impossible when you think how much resources we use in everything people own from house energy to makeup. I just wish there was a way to change it because I love the planet but it seems as though we as a species are disconnected.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

The mismatch between rising greenhouse-gas emissions and not-rising temperatures is among the biggest puzzles in climate science just now. It does not mean global warming is a delusion. Flat though they are, temperatures in the first decade of the 21st century remain almost 1°C above their level in the first decade of the 20th. But the puzzle does need explaining.

The mismatch might mean that—for some unexplained reason—there has been a temporary lag between more carbon dioxide and higher temperatures in 2000-10. Or it might be that the 1990s, when temperatures were rising fast, was the anomalous period. Or, as an increasing body of research is suggesting, it may be that the climate is responding to higher concentrations of carbon dioxide in ways that had not been properly understood before. This possibility, if true, could have profound significance both for climate science and for environmental and social policy.

1. profile image59

I read that certain forms of sea life absorb carbon along with many other things such as rocks and soil.. so there fore if we could produce (farm) enough of these sea life specimen (anything with a shell ) could we lower carbon levels?

junksellerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That sort of thing has been contemplated, fertilizing the oceans with iron, for instance, to stimulate phytoplankton growth, however, such massive alterations of the ocean environment are not well understood and very risky.

working