jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What are some unusual laws in your country?

1. stricktlydating profile image80
    stricktlydatingposted 4 years ago

What are some unusual laws in your country?

In QLD Australia a man was fined $44 this week for leaving his parked car unattended while the windows were wound down more than 5cms. It was a scorching hot day and he was out with a toddler so he wanted to keep some airflow through the car so it wasn't too hot when they returned to it. But it's illegal to wind your windows down more than 5cms in an unattended car. Apparently to attempt to stop burglary.

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 4 years ago

I saw this news item, too, and was quite amazed at the devious mind that came up with this law.  Surely if anyone steals our car it is the theif who should have the law brought down upon them.   To hold the person who's car MIGHT be stolen because the thief has a little more opportunity to break in, surely can't be just.     

What if the car-thief admits to the police, when caught, that he got in easily because of a window being down.  Does that bring the car owner and even bigger fine?     This law is laughable - or would be, if the poor sod didn't have to pay a fine.

This law's a bit like saying because I forgot to lock my front door and a burglar came along, tried the door, found it unlocked and stole all my goods, it is my fault not the thief's.     Get real! 

You could take this law to ridiculous lengths.  I didn't put my burglar alarm on so I should be prosecuted because it gives a burglar more opportunity to get away with a crime.  Or, that garden gnome in the front garden.  Better take it out or risk a fine.  You could be tempting someone to use it as a bludgeon...

I recall years ago I'd leave all the windows of my old Holden down, right the way down, and go for a swim.   My attitude was, "Well, if they need this old bomb that much, well welcome to it."   It certainly kept the car cooler than having all the windows wound up.

What's with some of the so-called law makers?   With "ignorance being no excuse of the law," it seems there is nothing that we can do that is not unlawful.

1. stricktlydating profile image80
      stricktlydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree Tom, and you made some interesting points. In 40 degree (C) weather we have had this week I have left my car windows part way down when I've gone grocery shopping and have had to park in the sun, and I've left my windows at home partl

3. The Examiner-1 profile image76
    The Examiner-1posted 4 years ago

Does the thief go around measuring the space that windows are open so that he knows which car to break into? Here if they want the car, or something in it, they simply break in. They smash windows, unlock doors, somehow find a way.

4. diogenes profile image69
    diogenesposted 4 years ago

People in the UK sometimes wonder why cabs are so high in the cab section.  The reason is these is still a law on the books saying a taxi must have the inside height to allow a man in a top hat to sit in comfort!!
    bob

1. The Examiner-1 profile image76
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I thought you meant high in cost! By the way, where is the 'cab section'?

2. diogenes profile image69
      diogenesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi  Where the driver sits...passengers can't sit in front in the UK

3. The Examiner-1 profile image76
      The Examiner-1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ohhh, I thought that maybe it was the front seat, but I was thinking the passenger sde.

working