Do you believe that college is necessary for long-term career success?

1. wychic profile image89
    wychicposted 4 years ago

Do you believe that college is necessary for long-term career success?

This came up in discussion recently, and I'm curious what others think on the subject. Why do you think it's necessary, or why not? What are the negative aspects of going to college or not going?

2. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

Unfortunately it is necessary. Not because people who don't have it are incapable of the same things, but because most career paths require it now. When the recession hit, employers had to find any tiny detail they could to reject people. It wasn't malicious, there were just too many candidates. One of the ways they did this was by requiring various college degrees for positions that previously didn't need them. Similarly, there are more college graduates now than ever before, which means the pool of potential hires is still large.

Personally, I think that more people pursuing higher education is a great thing. It's an enriching experience even if the degree didn't help you. The only problem is that the costs are ridiculous. Willing and able people want to get a degree and they're either locked out or they go into life crippling debt. It's a situation where, to earn a living wage, you must first dig deeper and deeper into a hole that you might not get out of. It's distressing.

3. sangre profile image96
    sangreposted 4 years ago

I think in part, it's an advantage to have a degree. However, how many entrepreneurs have gone to college? Not a lot. And if they do, they have dropped out after a few months.

I think that college might not be necessary if a great opportunity came up that gave you a career you loved.

Plus you always have the option of going back to college a few years later. But unfortunately a lot of employers like to see the degree details on a person resume.

working