jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Another shooting spree in a university. What's happening here?

1. dailytop10 profile image89
    dailytop10posted 3 years ago

Another shooting spree in a university. What's happening here?

Violence inside schools seem to be very rampant nowadays and are alarmingly extreme. What could have caused this? Is this because guns are within reach nowadays? Or is bad parenting the root cause of this problem. Share your thoughts.

2. Frienderal profile image76
    Frienderalposted 3 years ago

I believe the ease of access to guns in families and the disregard of the sanctity of human life are major reasons for the shooting sprees in school. Youth are exposed in many American movies and shooter video games and coupled with personal issues with family members and friends, some youth could be the motivated to carry out armed violence in schools.

3. DDE profile image26
    DDEposted 3 years ago

The lack of parenting skills is a problem with many and if no parent control from day one all breaks loose on many families.  Learning starts at home and not on the streets.

4. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 3 years ago

I actually think the media and the public's reaction to these incidents has something to do with it, too. The amount of attention these shooters get is crazy. I mean, look at Elliot Rodger: how much do we all know about him now? I didn't even go out of my way to look into the story and I already know more about him than I do about my own neighbors. I think the attention gives lonely, insecure kids/young adults reason to think they'll get the reward of some sort of fame.

Obviously that is not the whole problem but I do think it plants ideas in already unstable minds.

I don't really think it's any one particular thing that results in these situations, it probably takes a bit of a 'perfect storm'. Access to guns, mental illness gone unchecked, unsupportive (or unaware) family, motivation, age... it all likely comes together to create a person who thinks doing something drastic is the best (or only) option. The shooters are largely high school and university age, so schools become a familiar and easy platform.