jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

Have you ever seen the northern lights?

1. kevin murphy-87 profile image79
    kevin murphy-87posted 3 years ago

Have you ever seen the northern lights?

I have never had the opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis  but I have always wanted to. Have you ever witnessed this spectacle? And if so where?

2. CuAllaidh profile image85
    CuAllaidhposted 3 years ago

I live in Northern Alberta, and I have seen them a few times. They are simply amazing.

3. askformore lm profile image74
    askformore lmposted 3 years ago

Yes, I have seen it in Sweden.
    I live in the southern part of Sweden (Skane), where it (normally) can't be seen. However, I have seen it in Northern Sweden.

4. kevin murphy-87 profile image79
    kevin murphy-87posted 3 years ago

awesome! Is it exactly as you would see on television?

1. askformore lm profile image74
      askformore lmposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No! There isn't any television set that can show the northern lights as fantastic as the nature can.

2. CuAllaidh profile image85
      CuAllaidhposted 3 years agoin reply to this

The northern lights are never the same twice, they are always fantastic, always spectacular, sometimes they are a simple dancing ribbon of white across the sky, sometimes they vary in hue, sometimes they crackle (yes they actually make noise)

3. kevin murphy-87 profile image79
      kevin murphy-87posted 3 years agoin reply to this

wow! I'm gonna make it my mission to get a glimpse at some stage next year for sure. I've never heard of them making noise, that's so interesting.

4. CuAllaidh profile image85
      CuAllaidhposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Since it is electromagnetic activity the sound can apparently sometimes be even a hum kind of like high powered power lines.

5. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

I did one time and I am so far south that I did not know what I was looking at.  I was driving home from school it was about 10pm or so and I see this flickering kind of swaying yellowish orange light in the sky.  It looked like something was on fire in the distance or something - it was very strange.  I live in the Midwest in the US and we never see the Northern Lights here unless there is a major solar storm or something. 

When I read the news the next day they said that they had been visible in the rural areas here and that indeed was what they were.  Had I known while watching them I'd have paid much closer attention! smile

That will not likely happen again in my lifetime.

1. kevin murphy-87 profile image79
      kevin murphy-87posted 3 years agoin reply to this

wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing.

6. Kristen Howe profile image89
    Kristen Howeposted 2 years ago

Nope. I would love to someday, if it's closer to me to see it than going to Alaska.

7. Au fait profile image93
    Au faitposted 2 years ago

I was born and grew up in Wisconsin.  While the Northern Lights up there aren't as spectacular as the photos you can see on Pinterest from Alaska, Sweden, and Norway, etc., they are still visible in Wisconsin.  Saw them many times over the years while growing up.

working