Have you ever taken an Interest Test for career planning?

1. Billie Kelpin profile image88
    Billie Kelpinposted 3 years ago

Have you ever taken an Interest Test for career planning?

How many years ago did you take the test?  Did the results help you in your career decision making?  How accurate would you say the tests were?  If you took it when you were young, did you take the same test later on and get the same results?  Which test did you take? What age do you think students should take an interest test?  Have you taken the old Strong-Campbell?  What is your favorite interest test online? 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12010400_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 3 years ago

When I was about thirty-five years of age I wanted a career change (I'm now seventy-eight by the way and retired)  The interviewer gave me a series of tests, listened to what I said and, lo - he recommended me for the sort of work I'd alreadiy been doing for the past twenty years and was trying to get away from.  (It was the sort of job which inevitably involved shift-work)

As it was, I didn't get away from that work, but continued in it for around the next six years!   Finally, I made a break and got myself a God-awful job which I pretty well detested for the rest of my working life.  The upside?  It was a thirty-six hour week.  It was close to home; I drove against the traffic flow; the hours were great and there was flexi-time so I was able at last to make for myself a life 'outside' of work.   

What I learned in my 'leisure time' turned out to be far more enjoyable and longer lasting than anything learned at my that final  - and downright incompitble work - job and I now use these skills still.

The moral?   Learn skills that you can take with you into life 'outside' of work and even into retirement.  As a friend once said, "We're only young once - but we're old for an awfully long time."

1. Billie Kelpin profile image88
      Billie Kelpinposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Very interesting! From the long list of your hub articles, I'm surprised writing and public speaking didn't come up somewhere on the interest tests!  Great moral. Maybe young people are finding skills "outside" of work that now BECOME their worK .

working