jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What are the TEN most illogical, insipid remarks that people make to only childr

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What are the TEN most illogical, insipid remarks that people make to only children?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12042732_f260.jpg

2. pitzele profile image67
    pitzeleposted 3 years ago

Do what I say, not what I do.  My personal pet peeve - can you truly expect a child to listen if you are not modeling the behavior?  Seriously??

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Great answer.  By only children I meant children w/o siblings.

3. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

(1) Your an "only" child, how would you know?
    (2) You wouldn't know, you have no siblings.
    (3) he is an "only" child, he will not want a big family.

Well, the last part is TRUE.  Only children tend to have SMALL families.  It is those from large families who have LARGE families-family pattern and family example!

4. phoenix2327 profile image83
    phoenix2327posted 3 years ago

1.  You must be lonely.
    2.  You're spoiled.
    3.  You get loads of attention.
    4.  You're selfish.

I couldn't think of any more remarks but I do find these insulting.

While I am an only child, I wasn't lonely.  I'm an introvert by nature and never craved brothers or sisters.  I still don't.  I have my family and I'm happy with that.

Far from being spoiled, I had to work for anything I wanted.  It wasn't that my parents were trying to instill a work ethic, it was that I didn't want to ask them for anything.  We had a less -than-idyllic relationship and I preferred not to interact with them if it could be helped.

As for attention, my parents were too caught up in their own issues to bother with me.  My mother made it very clear to me at an early age that she no time for me other than to feed and clothe me.  My father was an alcoholic who spent most of his free time elsewhere.  In short, I was ignored and left to my own devices.

Selfish?  I still don't understand that.  I've known many people with siblings who were selfish.  I have no problem sharing my time and a sympathetic ear to anyone in need.

THANK YOU, the selfish label is OLD. Younger siblings tend to be SELFISH, always expecting to be LOOKED AFTER. Lonely is another bad rap-we onlies know HOW to entertain ourselves.  Spoiled, that is just a LOAD OF NONSENSE.

working