jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Do you contend that most parents love their children conditionally as long as th

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Do you contend that most parents love their children conditionally as long as their

children adopt/adhere to their particular familial/sociocultural/religious script?  Many parents strongly contend that they love their children unconditionally; however, if the children elect to go on a path different &/or opposite of that of the parents, many parents become threatened by this-influencing their children to get back in the familial line, others would go as far as DISOWNING and cutting off all ties with their children for electing to have divergent opinions & views from that of their parents.

2. Lotk profile image60
    Lotkposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately many parents, while they may say that they love their children unconditionally, absolutely do place conditions on that love/acceptance.  One must consider the parent-child dynamic; it can be complex, often rooted deeply in the unconscious.  For instance, if a parent has a child who reminds him/her of himself/herself, because of shared traits, that child will carry the brunt of the parent's expectations as well as fears.  And which of these depends largely upon the parent's unfulfilled dreams and ambitions, or his or her weaknesses and failures.

I think much of being a parent is actually a rediscovery of oneself, and whether one loves their children conditonally or unconditionally may depend entirely upon one's own acceptance of oneself, and whether an attitude of generosity and freedom can be extended to oneself as well.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Exactly, many parents have their familial code to which the children are to adhere to if they wish to be in the parents' good graces.Children who are most compliant are deemed the favorites while those who are more independent are UNFAVORED.

2. hfortinberry profile image60
      hfortinberryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Most healthy people have "deal breakers" or "boundaries" in every type of relationship from friendships to raising children.
    My mother always told us if we found ourselves in jail don't bother calling her. By the same token I am aware of some parents who took out "second mortgages" to help out adult children with legal problems.
    Some would go as far as lying on the witness stand or harboring a fugitive when it comes to their child. Personally speaking I'd have to draw a line on criminal behavior. I'm not risking my freedom.
    As for a child's sexual orientation, dropping out of college, choosing a career I don't believe is worthwhile I'd like to believe I'd see it has being (their) life. Thankfully I never wanted or had any children. smile