jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Do most parents love their children conditionally?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Do most parents love their children conditionally?

2. Capric222 profile image85
    Capric222posted 6 years ago

I really hope not!  I personally do not love my children conditionally.  I think that the love between a mother and her children should be unconditional.  I will love my children no matter what they do in life.  I'm sure there are some individuals out there who do love their children conditionally, but to me, that's just sad.  Children who are loved conditionally probably grow up with a number of problems.  First of all, everyone makes mistakes and you have to learn from those mistakes.

3. justateacher profile image81
    justateacherposted 6 years ago

Although my children have not always done as I have asked and have made mistakes they might not have if they had listened to the mama...they have all learned that there is nothing they can do that will make me stop loving them. They are my children...I love them...UNconditionally...I tell them frequently I might not like the choices they make, but I will always love them "to the moon and back."

4. profile image0
    Poetic Foolposted 6 years ago

I must echo justateacher.  Having three children of my own, I can say I love them unconditionally.  They've done plenty of things that have upset me over the years just as I am sure I have done to them.  Yet, I still love them and they me (I think!).  Unfortunately, I'm sure there are some parents that do love conditionally but I hope they are few and far between!

5. Hezmyjoy profile image60
    Hezmyjoyposted 6 years ago

I suppose it would have to do with where the mind of the parent is. If the parent had the child thinking that the child will love the parent without conditions, then the parent got what she expected. Now in reality, there is not a child living that doesn't have expectations when born. Where is my bottle? When are you going to change me? I need to be burped again? Is the bath now or why do I have to take a bath? All of this has to be done. To the mature parent that planned to have children, she knows of all of these things that she has to do and over the years she has reconciled herself to believe when she is finished and this child is of age, she will reap the harvest of all of that hard work. The child grows up and moves out the house to be a successful adult. She loves the child with the condition that he/she will grow up with a plan of their own to be independent of the parent.

working