jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What makes some parents in the United States not to care about their children's

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What makes some parents in the United States not to care about their children's socioeconomic

being, not providing adequate financial support to these children, oftentimes forcing them to assume adult roles i.e. working not because they want to but because dire socioeconomic circumstances compel such children to work because of the irresponsibility of the parents in that they refuse

2. Express10 profile image87
    Express10posted 3 years ago

Some parents lack planning and goal setting skills and are also very selfish and uninformed. These traits usually lead to a lack of money throughout one's life and also shows up in many "adults" who have children they cannot afford mentally and/or financially, usually long before the child was ever conceived. Some of these people want to remain uninformed so they do not care for improving themselves, they only care about entertaining themselves rather than improvement or learning.
    Because they have bad ideas about parenting and often life in general, they often push their children into any job that will pay so that the child will "carry their weight" when having said child was not a deal that child had any choice in. This often forces the child into a situation where their life and options are reduced or even eliminated due to time and energy spent working when they should be in college or studying rather than working.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Another great answer. Now, I am in a quandary,these two answers are THE BEST but I have to select...ONE. There are "parents" who are just plain immature in terms of parenting.They are aberrant parents,seeing nothing wrong in their aberration.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I believe even in our modern times where we have various birth control methods the vast majority of pregnancies are unplanned.
    Even with that being said there is no such thing as an accidental birth. Only a woman has the right to choose to become a parent.
    I knew one woman who once told me that she did not use the pill because she read it had side effects. Apparently she was unaware that having sex without birth control also has "side effects". 
    Most people also don't have any "mate selection" process which includes consideration of whether or not the person they're having sex with would make a good parent. They're only interested in the (instant gratification) of having sex at that moment.
    If someone is shortsighted they're not giving any thought as to establishing a solid career path, getting married, and setting aside funds prior to having a child.
    Others really don't see anything wrong with raising a child in poverty. In fact they may think it's unrealistic to believe they could change their own lives. In their mind life is something that "happens to you" and not the result of (choices and decisions they've made) along the way.
    Anyone who doesn't care about their own socioeconomic situation is not likely to be concerned about their offspring conditions.

Great answer as usual.  You have taken the words out of my mouth. It enrages me for parents to have such attitudes.There was a respondent to one of my questions who had THIS attitude. This respondent did not care if the children was impoverished.

4. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

Both superbly excellent responses from Mr. Dashing & Express10.  There are simply some parents who exists in lower consciousness levels.  Parents who are highly conscious know that bring up children poor & in poverty is wrong.  Children born into impoverished conditions are disadvantaged in myriad ways.  For a parent to bring a child into the world in poor/impoverished condition denotes some type of mental abnormality, even an aberration. Parents who are highly conscious financially prepare themselves in order to ascertain a socioeconomically comfortable life for them & particularly their children.

The average poor parents is not nor wants to plan nor think about theirs nor their children's well-being.  They are happy being poor/impoverished as to them it is psychologically easier to remain as they are socioeconomically then to exert the necessary effort & to make the necessary sacrifices in order to have a better socioeconomic life.  They are of the school that so what if they are poor, living from hand to elbow, being in an ever-precarious environment.  They also figure that if they are alright being poor, their children will be alright being poor also.  This is inverse logic of the worst order. 

Most poor people fail to realize that they are subjecting their children to the worst form of abuse.  Being poor/poverty is not okay.  Poor/poverty denotes lack.  Anything that is lacking is not okay.  However, there are those who do not possess discernible inductive & deductive logic who proclaim this absurd logic.  No one is happy being poor/impoverished.  Being poor/impoverished = living at the lowest ebb, doing without, having/consuming inferior products, having substandard health/medical care, having in unsafe neighborhoods, going to inferior schools/receiving an inferior education etc.  Being poor/impoverished is a hellish way to life & no child should be subjected to that. Parents who subject their children to this are beyond evil to say the least.

5. Laura Schneider profile image92
    Laura Schneiderposted 3 years ago

Excellent topic and answers! I agree with you all. I agree that most parents nowdays happen by accident rather than by careful planning. Those who plan realize what a tremendous undertaking it is to raise a child and so we're getting fewer children from the more responsible adults and more from the irresponsible ones. It's a shame on both groups of people—those who over-analyze themselves out of having a kid and those who happen by mistake or without a concern for the lifestyle of the the child(ren). Smarter people can see the consequences and know better how to prevent unwanted pregnancy, which does not bode well for future generations populated by the accidental or foolishly chosen children of the non-thinking class. I know people on both extremes of this pendulum and I worry that poverty will become the norm rather than the exception in coming generations. It's sad that the thinking people talk themselves out of having children, and the non-thinking ones take the attitudes expressed above and raise children in poverty. There is a ray of hope: I've heard that some companies are paying for their employees to freeze their eggs at an early age, so they can build their careers and then still have healthier babies later in life. Smart idea!

Yet another excellent answer indeed.The more negative parents are the reasons for the majority of our societal ills.You are correct those who have THE MOST children are oftentimes come from the lower socioeconomic groups who tend to be less educated.