jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the difference in terms of degrees & intent between the words BAD & EVIL

1. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What is the difference in terms of degrees & intent between the words BAD & EVIL?

2. goatfury profile image90
    goatfuryposted 3 years ago

"Bad" can have all kinds of negative connotations, like "I'm having a bad day", "That was a bad move in chess", etc, whereas "Evil" really only ever refers to morality.

3. nicolas-ray profile image60
    nicolas-rayposted 3 years ago

I agree with Goatfury that bad is pretty mild and usually expresses something negative, like a was a bad kid growing up, but I was never evil in my actions. Evil on the other hand is just evil...examples of evil people, Hitler, Josef Mengele, and our current world enemy, ISIS (which are bunch of cowards)

4. dashingscorpio profile image86
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

I think it's possible for "good people" to do bad things every now and then but an "evil person" is viewed as being diabolical in conceiving their actions. There is no light in their eyes because their heart is black. People, family, and friends are mere pawns to be used.

5. gmwilliams profile image87
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Bad is having a moral lapse now and then while evil is total nihilistic immorality.  Bad is mildly negative while evil is negativity of the most banal order.  A bad person has moments of remorse & guilt whereas an evil person does not have a scintilla of remorse & guilt.  An evil person in other words can be described in more modern, sophisticated terms as a sociopath, even a psychopath. 

Bad is committing a venial sin which is forgivable while evil is committing a mortal sin which is damnable.  Bad is moderate while evil is to the extreme.  A bad person may make a prejudicial remark about a group of people while an evil person may put an entire group of people in a concentration camp.  Bad may or may not be accidental in intent but evil is always intentional & never an accident.  Evil knows what it is doing, it is purposeful in scope.

One can say that evil is a higher degree of bad.  It also can be classified as beyond bad and into acts & actions of dissolution, even debauchery.  Bad is having a low consciousness level while evil is zero levels of consciousness into the negative.