Getting up and moving out of state, is it for you?

1. profile image53
    Lynn Morsposted 3 years ago

Getting up and moving out of state, is it for you?

It has been nearly two weeks since I left my home. I have had two interviews that have gone no where. A few more offers to check out. I went from living with my mom and dad to living with my cousin and his girlfriend. I have not had the chance to meet a lot of people. Was I wrong to jump on a plane and come out here? No, a new place is always hard to get use to. Sometimes you just need to jump and take a leap.

2. Shaddie profile image89
    Shaddieposted 3 years ago

It'd good to dislodge yourself from places you've become too comfortable. Sometimes the scariest adventures are the most worthwhile.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

Did you move to live with your cousin/? or Did you move because you believed there were great opportunities in that area.
    When I left college at 21 I moved 2000 miles away from family and friends to Southern California. I had a couple of thousand dollars in my pocket with no place to stay and no car. I rented a motel room until I found an apartment. My first job was working nights/closings at a fast food restaurant.  This allowed me to have interviews during the day. I registered with 4 or 5 temp agencies took various assignments.
    This was long before there was Internet. One had to physically walk into businesses and fill out job applications or snail mail resumes to companies that posted want ads in the newspaper.
    Today you can post your resume on sites like Indeed.com, Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, and network with groups on Meetup.com. You can register with the local unemployment office and see job postings that come in. You can sign up with a few temp agencies, research companies and their websites to see if they have any positions you're qualified for...etc Check bulletin boards on university and community college campuses
    Consider entry level positions especially if it's a great company.
    Set a goal to email at least 20-25 resumes to companies each day.
    Go to the library to research employers in the areas. Check out books such as Martin Yate's "Knock 'em Dead Resumes: A Killer Resume Gets More Job Interviews!", "Knock 'em Dead Job Interview: How to Turn Job Interviews Into Job Offers", and "Knock 'Em Dead: With Great Answers to Tough Interview Questions".
    For me personally I decided moving back to my home state was NOT an option! I've always wanted to be independent of my parents early on. I didn't want to go back feeling like a failure.
    "If you want something bad enough you will find a way, if you don't you will find an excuse." - Jim Rohn
    Best wishes!

working