jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Does the Universe end or is it infinite?

1. Luke M Simmons profile image77
    Luke M Simmonsposted 2 years ago

Does the Universe end or is it infinite?

I'm actually not going to provide any more context for this one.  I want you guys to respond before providing any evidence that may sway the conversation.  Have fun!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12318139_f260.jpg

2. Tusitala Tom profile image62
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

I'll attempt it.   To use the famous Socrates quote: "All I know is that I know nothing."   That is maybe the Universe is infinite, that is it is a circle which has its centre everywhere and it circumference nowhere.  Maybe it last forever.  Maybe it does not.  Maybe it is all illusory anyway.  Maybe there are infinite universes in dimensions beyond our ken.

The only certainty we are told is that everything changes.   But what about the Observer, the Witness, the Experiencer of the changes.  What observes the universe and can concoct  such a question?   

Dwell on that one for a while...

Luke M Simmonsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's gonna be hard for anyone to top that one.  @Tom, I absolutely love it.  Philosophically intriguing and scientifically accurate.  You hit the nail on the head with this one!

3. Austinstar profile image87
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12318252_f260.jpg

You already know my position on this one :-)
    I can only say that, in my opinion, it is infinite because even if you could travel to the "end of the universe", what would be there?
    More universe?
    An infinite spherical wall? with nothing on the other side of the wall?
    Another complete and separate universe?
    Total empty infinite space?
    That crazy number 8 laying on its side?
    LOL! Wouldn't we all like to know the answer to this question!

@Lela: haha, yep.  Great discussion by the way.

2. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I love this little smiley face cosmos photo! Yes, it was a great discussion.

3. Luke M Simmons profile image77

Oh yeah I didn't see that before.  It looks like some gravitational lensing is at play here.

4. Austinstar profile image87
      Austinstarposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I used to work with blood cells under a microscope. It's funny how many white blood cells of the segmented neutrophil line look like they are smiling!

working