What kinds of religions would they have in alien worlds?

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (111 posts)
  1. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Assuming there are other planets out there with civilsation at least as advanced as ours, what kinds of religions would they have there? Do you think they'd have had Jesus, Mohammed, Krishna and Buddha visit them also? Would they have the exact same Bible, Qur'an or Bhagavad Gita? Would they have religion at all?

1. usmanali81 profile image59
      usmanali81posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Freemasonry has got a greater chance to be their religion

2. mohitmisra profile image61
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Here I find two masters fascinating.
      The first Paramhansa Yogananda says his master came back to him as an apparition after he died and told him that there are other dimensions  and that he is currently in a dimension where the souls are more spiritually advanced than humans and he is teaching them about god and love.
      The same goes for Meher Baba. He communicates with his disciple here on earth and has told them the same thing that he in in a more evolved dimension teaching those souls.

Then you also have the Egyptians who believed the evolved souls would go and reside in the constellation of the seven sisters.
      The tunnels in the pyramids point towards these stars and were like guides to the souls so they go in the right direction.

It will be the religion of love. smile

3. rizrazi profile image59
      rizraziposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Assumptions and Realities are two different things
      Yet if you want me to assume than i would say that If there's any world, Then ALLAH / GOD would have their own systems.. Like of the earth's

2. tksensei profile image61
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Maybe the first question is would they even be life forms we would recognize?

3. profile image0
    fierycjposted 14 years ago

I'm sure they would worship something. If I had to make an alien movie where its based in another galaxy or something...I would make them worship this luminous giant creature, a fallen angel that fell on their planet during the Titanomachy and stayed. He would be a god in their midst.

4. tksensei profile image61

Gotta figure IF there is life on other planets the likelihood that it is intelligent is on the small side.

1. Jewels profile image82
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Could they be any worse than us?  What makes you think it would be small?  Interested in your thoughts here.

5. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

This is indeed a very strong assumption.Maybe they have their own version of prophets or religions,they even have no religion at all.
    So anything is possible.I guess they have their version of Susana
    who loves to write in hub & ask questions.

6. Eaglekiwi profile image73
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

More Intelligent than ours maybe.
    Like not murdering in the name of 'god'

1. andromida profile image55
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

without religious hatred and racism.

7. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Yeh, I like the idea that they may have gone beyond (or never had) the silliness that most earth religions seem to be caught up in at the moment. It would be great to think they may actually know the truth of reality in terms of spirituality and be supremely spiritual beings. Maybe we'll get there one day too.

I also like the idea of a luminous giant creature that everyone worships! I've got an image of Kang and Kodos from the Simpsons in mind smile

I asked this question to try and rouse a bit of objectivity around the whole religion question. My view is that it is highly unlikely other intelligent civilisations would have the same religions as us, and if that's true...what does it say about the validity of our religions? Truth should be truth throughout the universe surely?

This question encourages us to be open minded and take the standpoint of a human to fathom something that is not earthly, or not human.  It would only be speculation unless you could expand your consciousness beyond what is the ordinary mind.  Our standpoint will only ever be the human standpoint, and when measured my physical instruments this is limiting our research somewhat smile

If you can take the written text, dogmatic approach away, and refer to religion as one who has a spiritual essence and is able to expand consciousness beyond the norm, I could entertain the idea.  If you want the writings of Corinthians to apply to beings on Canis Major or Jupiter - I'm really stretching myself here.

"Truth should be truth throughout the universe, surely?"  Major major statement that one.  But what does it mean?  Do you mean we are all God, or a divine essence or love is all there is?

8. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I would hope they were well past religion.

9. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

If all the assumptions are true then lets be alien;I mean
      ideologically.

10. Lady Guinevere profile image66
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

According to a friend of mine ther can be no other worlds to have a religion on because as he states it goes against the Laws Of Nature and Einstein's Theory Of Relativity.  I posited the question about that in the Science forum if anyone cares to try to answer my questions.

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I would disagree with this as would the vast majority of scientists. The Laws of Nature are the physical properties of the universe - biology, chemistry and physics. There's nothing in there whatesoever to say that there can't be any other civilisations in the universe, in fact quite the contrary. And if there are other civilisations there's every reason to think they may have religion.

Einstein's theory of relativity is about how fast objects/particles can travel in the universe, how that changes time and how things look relative to each other. This may have implications for space and time travel but not for whether religion is possible.
      Here's a great series of programs that explain all current scientific thinking in easy to understand terms:
      http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

11. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

I'm sure they'd have pastafarians:  Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

12. earnestshub profile image80

If at least advanced as us, I would think they would have gone way past religious belief, and be dealing in reality.

13. tksensei profile image61

Strange how people who have a conception of faith and religion at about the level of a small child still try to put on airs of great intelligence and sophistication.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image73
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Unless you have a 'child-like' faith ( not to be confusd with 'childish ie immature' you will not enter the Kingdom Of Heaven. smile

14. earnestshub profile image80

Tksensei, as usual all you can contribute is ninth rate crap like this. Grow up!

1. tksensei profile image61
      tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I might say the same. Your post amounts to just more "religion is silly" nonsense that has been posted a million times already. If you are going to keep beating the same drum I think it's fair to comment on it.

Just wondering Tksensei if you've done any self transformation work, like spending 40 days and nights in a desert reflecting on your psychological reactions, perhaps demons in your closet. Your openness to the ideals of others, your openness to the shortcomings of others, as determined by your state of mind.  Spirituality takes all forms, as I'm sure you are aware.  At the end of the day, for some at least, spiritual truth will only come from inside the self, and not via religious teachings.

I'm wondering if you know the higher meaning of Self (as in Atman)?  It's just a question to you.  No new-age nonsense and I'm not intending to upset you, in case that is not clear.

Forgive me if, despite your disclaimer, that DOES sound like new-age nonsense. Forgive me as well for avoiding your question but my faith and reflections and whathaveyou are personal. Suffice to say I've been around.

1. earnestshub profile image80
            earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Been around what tk?

The world, churches, temples, mosques, shrines, forests, deserts, the ocean, rivers, lakes, car crashes, blizzards, tiny apartments, 4 star restaurants, night markets, police stations, bottles, books, family, friends, fights, lovers, competitions, hospitals, fears, joys, ambiguity, etc. You know, 'around.'

But have you ever been inside your own temple? Have you ever used your inner eye and gone inside yourself?

Oh, fer cryin' out loud...put down the beads and the bong for a while...

I don't do beads and bongs.  Sorry if this makes you angry.  The difference between what you are saying as "I've been around" and the journey of self - is exactly Self means going inside.  It is in fact how the Christian Jesus became divine.  And to do that requires self reflection.  Just clearing any misconceptions about your understandings.  Self (Atman is a very high state of consciousness).  It's not new-age.  Have a look at the Upanishads of Hindu philosophy if you like.  Don't take my word for it.

2. Jewels profile image82

Is so interesting how you see what I do as new age beads and bong stuff, and I find what I do to be more real than listening to and reading scriptures.  And more real than blindly praying to an icon.

2. Jewels profile image82

I can respect your personal journey.  It may sound like new-age nonsense, but it isn't.

15. profile image0

If there're aliens then they've got to be fallen angels. A fallen race of angels bereaved of their celestial bodies; forming colonies in outer worlds. Clearly the Bible states that they (angels) have the ability to reproduce. Gen 6.

So you put ALL aliens in this category?  Fallen angels?  "Those bereaved of their celestial bodies" - could that not refer to fallen humans who have not honored their own existence?  In terms of your bible beliefs - could this relate to 'those poor souls who are in purgatory?'  Perhaps unevolved spiritually?  Or are they more like Luciferic beings?

Just wondering about your thought-forms.

1. profile image0
        fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When a celestial being loses its nature it is demoted to a more humanoid form. It still retains its superhuman strength and abilities. Nonetheless without a natural pure form. It can morph and take shapes as well and easily as any spirit can. Bigfoot, Yeti, Abominable Snowman, Nephilims,etc all fall into the category of descendants of humanoid creatures i.e. Ex-angelic beings.

Bigfoot? Abominable Snowman?  I was aware of the Nephilim within the context of what you were saying.

You realize this is exactly the kind of thing the faith-o-phobes thrive on, right? Your beliefs are your own, but this is why many atheists reject the concept of God - because they can't get past the coloring book notion of an actual, physical big guy with a white beard sitting on a cloud throne in the sky hurling lightening bolts, or Jesus as a Marvel Comics superhero.

1. profile image0

Peoples opinions or beliefs will always differ. Its inevitable. However, I myself find it utterly as absurd as that there isn't a God sitting up there in a throne, hurling lightening bolts at his subjects.

Ok, so an actual, physical man sitting in the actual physical sky actually physically hurling actual lightening bolts?

1. profile image0

metaphorically speaking, of course.

Um, that's why I used the word "actual" so many times...

The shortcoming of the human standpoint.

16. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Alex Collier says that the Andromedans call what we know as God as the "Isness."

17. Pete Maida profile image62
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I would think that any sentient race would be curious about themselves and their surroundings.  As with humans, aliens would probably attribute an unseen entity to anything they couldn't understand.  It is the need to have a reason for everything even if the reason is not concrete.  Humanity would substitute the divine reason for a concrete reason when they had more information.  The Gods made lightning and thunder until we learned how it was really created.

18. Eaglekiwi profile image73

I Think there are many different branches of people (aliens) who worship Christ on other planets.

19. profile image0

It is indeed a well established fact that New Age borrows a lot from Hindu doctrines.

Be that as it may, I don't do New Age.  I do like some of the Hindu tradition though.  I also like bits of the Buddhist tradition.  Even like a few bits and pieces from the Christian tradition.  Like some of the Chinese teachings.  A bit from the Celtic line as well.  I suppose that makes me a mongrel in the spiritual world - glory be I'm a bit of everything. Praise Me.

It makes you exactly the definition of a self-indulgent, superficial new-age boob.

You do need petting.  Superficial - wow! I have never been called superficial.  Always a first.  Shows you know nothing about me.  But nor would you be expected to.

Glad I could be there for ya.

You're welcome.

20. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Fierycj, just make the film, and they will come....

Is Fiery making a film? Good for you.  Hope it goes well.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How is that coming? We are going to keep nagging you! smile

1. profile image0

Hey, easy, fellas...see, the rumour you're starting, Bren. The plan is still in the works, though. Its got to be done right. And hey, Sufi, you'll be one of the first to know when the deal is sealed.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78

Great stuff - still have the film-making Hub to write, but you may have to wait a few weeks - it is on the ever lengthening 'To Do' list! smile

Eaglekiwi - my other half may have one of those lying around, somewhere!

1. profile image0

That's fine, Sufi. I'll be looking forward to it.

21. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Can I play a lead role , Ive always wanted to wear a Grecian robe like that girl in Lord Of The Rings..smile

1. profile image0

I've got this movie script lying around somewhere, where a goddess years a similar robe like that. But I've always pictured Marcia Cross playing that role. There's something cold about that redhead. But I dont know. Are you any good, Eagle?

22. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Better than good and look I even came dressed for the part smile other dress black n gold is at the cleaners

lol Fiery - you have your leading lady!

1. profile image0

Well, what can I say..I don't know why Universal hasn't signed me up yet. I get an actress shining up for a part without an audition. I'm hot! Lol.

lol

You could get your entire cast and crew on Hubpages - offer 'Working Holidays' in Africa!

1. profile image0

And that would be like a bonus, right. Imagine shooting a fantasy flick in the heart of Africa. How exotic is that!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image73

lol, packing as we speak, dinner beside the Serengeti in my Friday night 'get up' my the force is strong in that girl lol

23. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

@Fiery: I'm in!

My partner could be persuaded - she has always wanted to visit Africa. She used to work as a cook, so could help with the catering - the most important part of any film-shoot! big_smile

ok Im adding to my Resume Surfi..last job was as a Barista and ktichen hand..smile never to proud to get my hands dirty

You don't need to worry about that - you are one of the Thespian cast who gets waited on, hand and foot, whilst the crew do the real work!

@fiery - Why not, although you need to start planning well in advance. Writing the script and stuff is great, but you need to start thinking about the practical things, like food and accommodation.

You could always find a friend to do it for you - the joys of delegation lol

2. profile image0

Wow. Jokes apart. I'm starting to really consider this.

24. Eaglekiwi profile image73

Go for it ( seriously)
    Nothing Ventured , Nothing Gained right
    I wish you all the best!
    Spielberg,Peter Jackson move over

1. profile image0

No, Liv Tyler, move over. Lol.

Id forgotten her already ..hehe smile

25. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

I think Aliens would worship the greenest alien with the biggest ears who flies the fastest spaceship with the most up to date technology

26. cindyvine profile image70

Actually, they have recently found another solar system with planets that  would be in the habitable zone, so it isn't inconceivable that there might be life there.  I doubt our planet is the only planet with intelligent life, and for the aliens, we might not actually be that intelligent.

Our track record would indicate we are pretty stupid smile

Seems pretty likely, but so far we can't say for sure.

27. cindyvine profile image70

I have to concur, Jewels!

28. cindyvine profile image70

Here's a hanky to wipe your snotty nose, Sensei

I just need a minute to compose myself...

(hope you don't want that hanky back)

29. cindyvine profile image70

Nah keep the hanky, what with swine flu and all that fullashitalitis going on as well.  Did a whole unit of work with my grade 4's about what makes a planet habitable, so feel quite knowledgeable on the subject.  On a Grade 4 level of course!

30. Alien invasion profile image59
    Alien invasionposted 14 years ago

I'm a Jedi, non practicing. I prefer to go fishing on the sabbath.

31. profile image0

Its funny how a thread about aliens is halted by an 'Alien Invasion'.

32. Enelle Lamb profile image73
    Enelle Lambposted 14 years ago

Seems to me the answer to the question would be alien...or is that too obvious?

33. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

Does make me wonder, given it's very likely other civilizations exist beyond this planet, whether there is dissention in belief systems.  I'd be more interested in their state of consciousness, their intelligence. Is there an ability to be more unified or is duality and separation their dilemma also.

34. tksensei profile image61

we can't know that life exists on other worlds, that it exists and is intelligent, that it is intelligent and has religion, if it has religion what they might be based on, etc.

35. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 14 years ago

I would imagine the begining of other worlds to be some sort of Adam and Eve scenario which raises the question; do they all end up eating the fruit?

36. tksensei profile image61

See? This topic is really just about humanity.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)