Do you believe in Karma? And why?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Buildreps profile image85
    Buildrepsposted 9 years ago

Do you believe in Karma? And why?

Christians believe that after this earthly life the Abrahamistic deity sends our soul to Heaven or Hell, depending on our behaviour during our earthly life.
    Turning yourself to the Hindu religion doesn't seem to free you from morality, since the Hindu's know such thing as Karma.
    Do you believe in Karma? Can you explain why?

2. Lady Guinevere profile image63
    Lady Guinevereposted 9 years ago

I do believe in Karma.  Jesus told us of that too in a few ways.  One is You Shall Reap What Ye Sow and Do Unto Others As You Would Want Then To Do Unto You.  Tehre are many different kinds of Karma though that most people do not realize.
    1.  Instant Karma...what you say or eat, if it isn't right or if it is right, you will get the effect right back right then or in a few seconds.
    2. Longer term, such as what you think and the emotions that you put behind them will come into fruition later down the road...a month, a year or years from this moment.   
    3.  The one about after death, it will come on another lifetime and you will have to deal with your choices that you had in this lifetime. 
    Re-Incarnation is NOT coming back into the same body to live it again.  It is coming back in a similar body in a similar life to learn the other side of your actions that you took in a previous life.  Be careful with this life and be good to all because if you don't it will come back to you, one way or another.

Buildrepsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You suppose it works like an Universal Law of Cause and Effect?

2. Trevor Wallace profile image62
      Trevor Wallaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that's exactly how it works, Buildreps. Now I feel like my comment on this is simply redundant. Smh, it is what it is.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image63
      Lady Guinevereposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yep it does.  It doesn't have thoughts of it's own, it is just a re-action to an action.

3. tsmog profile image87
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

Yes and I cannot explain at this time. I simply today have faith and trust in the larger principal without seeking to understand. I just accept for now while keep on keeping on. :-) I will copy/paste this in my to ponder file for maybe writing further on as a hub one day. Thank you for bringing this thought process to ponder today Buildreps.

Thanks for responding, Tim. I'm looking forward to a Hub one day.

4. profile image0
    TheBizWhizposted 9 years ago

I don't really believe in Karma and I try not to even think about it. If I do something good for someone else, it is not because I am supposed to, but because I want to. I am a Christian, but I don't do good deeds to get into heaven and I don't do them so I will get something good in return.

I don't believe in Karma that reaches beyond this earthly life. But like Lady Guinevere stated there is some logic to a sort of cause and effect - you reap what you sow. I'm interested in all believes and opinions about this issue. Thanks BizWhiz!

2. Lady Guinevere profile image63

@Biz, That is not how it works.  I don't know exactly what you are talking about or have been told, but it is right there in the Bible and it does not state weather it be good or bad, just consequences for thoughts and actions.

5. fandz legaspi profile image40
    fandz legaspiposted 9 years ago

I don't believe in Karma. I think there is no such a thing for it is only a sort label or brand-named by most of members of the religious sect. What important is faith which determine mainly the ‘Will of God’.

Isn't the Will of God without cause, fandz legaspi?

2. fandz legaspi profile image40
      fandz legaspiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is cause for a reason why God creates human. He does not want His children to become wicked.

3. Lady Guinevere profile image63

Then why did he make them wicked?  He set them up and that is the whole crux.  He is evil!

4. Trevor Wallace profile image62

I think there's some confusion between the Monad and the Demiurge here in the comments.

5. Buildreps profile image85

I see you met our old friend Leibniz already, Trevor. That's great. Then you're on your way to find the Universal Truth.

6. Trevor Wallace profile image62

You know it, brutha Build!

6. dashingscorpio profile image72
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Not really. I believe no matter who you are or what you do you will experience both good and bad events over time. We all get our turn.
    Whether one believes in Karma or religion as a way to keep them from behaving negatively is their own personal choice.
    Bad things sometimes happen to good people and the bad guy sometimes gets away. That's life!

Thanks for explaining your view on this, dashingscorpio.

7. Trevor Wallace profile image62
    Trevor Wallaceposted 9 years ago

I look at Karma as the spiritual equivalent of the physical law of cause and effect. I can't deny that pushing a book (cause) will make it move across a table (effect). I also can't deny that if I treat someone poorly and it diminishes them somehow (cause), something that I deserve will happen to me, from stubbing a toe to something far worse, like my girlfriend leaving me (effect).

Actions on the material plane have reverberations on planes we cannot immediately or easily sense, and those echoes come back. Jung would call it synchronicity. I call it spiritual physics.

That said, a lot of "spirituality" is simply a complex psychological function. Does my belief in Karma make Karma work in my life? Quite possibly. Bad things may happen to me when I do something bad to another because my subconscious guilt is subtly sabotaging me.

Either way, whether internal or external, yes, I believe in Karma.

That's a great explanation, Trevor. Thanks for this!

8. profile image0
    Rayne123posted 9 years ago

Yes, we may nit even realize what hit us. If you do not believe in karma, you will pass it off as bad luck. However is that not karma. I would say so.

I will use OJ Simpson for example; he was acquitted of the murders of his ex and her bf.

He laughed walking out if court. Not to worry, he then got caught and ended up in prison anyway. He is a nobody now.

His past came back to bite him worse than the first round he probably would be out by now.

Just my opinion.
    Blessings all.

1. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for couplease grammar/spelling mistakes. My cell freezes and does not allow at times to let me edit.

Thank you

2. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for the couple spelling/Grammar  errors, my cell is awful at times

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)