jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What makes a person surround himself/herself with people who are less intelligen

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What makes a person surround himself/herself with people who are less intelligent, knowledgeable,

and even less educated than they are?  Why are such people fearful, threatened, and even out of sync with  those who have the same or superior level of intelligence, knowledge, and education?  I know a woman with a Master's Degree who have friends who are high school graduates. Outside of work, she refuses to associate with college educated people; she maintains that she feels uncomfortable with them.  She maintains that she feels more relaxed with people with as minimal education as possible. She even married a man with a 10th grade education.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12333657_f260.jpg

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 3 years ago

Esteem. Howard Becker's Labeling Theory offers good insight with esteem and self-esteem. Without all the ins and outs in essence to raise self-esteem comparisons are made with those presumed to be a notch higher or a notch less per se. The more comparisons made with each the differences of self-esteem occurs offering perspective and perceptions of difference. A circle of sorts one may say.

3. marcelo.origoni profile image60
    marcelo.origoniposted 3 years ago

The fact she has a Master Degree, doesn't make her more intelligent than a high school graduate.

A lot ofr less educated people couldn't affoard to get the degree, or had other responsabilities at the time.

4. cobrien profile image78
    cobrienposted 3 years ago

She may need to feel superior.
    However, in my case, I am a sophomore in college and get good grades, yet feel closer to people without an education. Why? Familiarity. Neither my parents nor my siblings ever graduated from college. I chose to pursue my education later in life. Does that mean I should now avoid my uneducated family and friend? THAT'S not going to happen. Now do I plan to make any new "professional" friends. I have enough friends as it is, and don't plan to break ties because I got an education and they didn't. That would be both egocentric and sociocentric of me, two traits I am being taught to let go of in my Critical Thinking class.

working