jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Why are people from large/very large families very unfriendly towards & distrust

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why are people from large/very large families very unfriendly towards & distrustful of outsiders,

oftentimes being extremely insular from others?  People from large/very large families aren't friendly towards other people or even to extended family members.  They are warm & friendly ONLY to those w/n their immediately family circle & no one else.  They even PUT their immediate family members BEFORE their OWN spouses, even THEIR OWN children.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12049372_f260.jpg

2. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

they are protecting themselves, they do not want to be looked down, or badly treated by others from their family background. You may noticed that they are very low profile

1. gmwilliams profile image84
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

GREAT answer!

3. Ana Kolomeka profile image75
    Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years ago

I read the book, "Growing Up in the Jackson Family" by LaToya Jackson.  There were 9 kids in the family, and she said they were not allowed to have friends over.  In a way that made sense, since their two bedroom house was already bursting at the seams.  But I can see they were also hiding the abuse and dysfunction that was going on.  If outsiders saw that, they could intervene, and perhaps Joe Jackson would have gone to jail.
    I've had schoolmates who came from large families, and they were no less friendly than anyone else.  However, when kids are taught to be closed - regardless of the size of their families - I believe it's because they're hiding something.  A teacher told our class that it is a common tactic for abusive parents to teach their kids that what happens in the home, stays in the home.

4. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

People from large/very large families exist in their own  microcosm. Their main source of friendships are w/n their family. As a result, they are clannish & oftentimes distrust those deemed OUTSIDERS. read more

working