jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Does anyone know what this is?

1. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Does anyone know what this is?

This alien being flew into my garden today and landed with a plop, like a frog. I've since found it in other areas on or near my porch. Each time it moves, it plops. I've never seen anything like it before. I live in Central Florida if that helps.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12434032_f260.jpg

2. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

I'm guessing a cicada. They are rare because they come out of the ground every 13 or 14 years and make a horrendous noise. They shed their exoskeletons and go back underground. In fact, our local 911 has gone on television asking people not to call them because "it's not a siren and there's no danger". Cicadas are harmless to humans.

bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Miz B, this didn't come out of a tree. It flew from my Star Jasmine. Perhaps I've not seen a cicada before it sheds it's shell. It didn't make a noise, just flew and plopped. At first I thought is was a tree frog (judging by the sound) but it's not.

3. Venkatachari M profile image43
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

I hope it is a beetle. We have black ones here which fall heavily with some thump and then crawl very slowly into dark corners. Whenever it attempts to fly in air it plops. Not limited to Florida, I think. They can be found at any region and corner of the world.

I guess I should try Googling it. It's really rather large with what looks like two huge eyes. I have no idea if they're eyes or not, but whatever this thing is, it's creepy!

4. bravewarrior profile image92
    bravewarriorposted 2 years ago

Venkatachari, you're right. It is a beetle. I Googled it and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaus_oculatus

It's called a click beetle.

1. Venkatachari M profile image43
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Shauna, for confirming it and clarifying and selecting my answer as best answer.

2. bravewarrior profile image92

You're welcome, Venkatachari. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

5. MariaMontgomery profile image89
    MariaMontgomeryposted 2 years ago

Shauna, I'm here in central Fla, too. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't tell much about it from this photo. Can you enlarge the photo or zoom in with you camera for a very, very close up shot?

1. MariaMontgomery profile image89
      MariaMontgomeryposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well, I guess I should have read the other comments before commenting, but my e-mail went directly to your question, and I didn't even see that there were any others.

2. bravewarrior profile image92

That's okay, Maria. I had some zoomed pix, but they weren't as clear. It sure is ugly!

6. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 2 years ago

A kind of Beatle, I believe. Life is evolving and things do change, as you know. Perhaps tomorrow I may have red hair. He he. Actually, perhaps they will grow back.

Hope you like a little fun, my dear friend Shauna. I'm in a playful mood. Lots of love.

Play away, my friend!

working