To all only children out there, do you strongly believe that prejudice, misperce

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

To all only children out there, do you strongly believe that prejudice, misperceptions, and

misjudgment against 1 child families will be eradicated within the next 20-50 years?  The sibling culture and society strongly believe that families contain parents and 2 or more children.  This culture and society refuse to acknowledge that 1 child families are legitimate.  Well, 1 child families are families just as other families.  Besides, 1 child families have network of close extended and non-blood family members.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8295569_f260.jpg

2. sockii profile image80
    sockiiposted 2 years ago

I was an only child also raised by my mother alone (and her parents). To be honest I never really saw or experienced prejudice that suggested we were not a "family" because I was an only child.

I do think there are a lot of assumptions made about only children, that we are selfish, spoiled, pampered and don't know how to share or "play/work well with others". There can be societal, religious and cultural pressure on couples to have more than one child. But I have not personally heard or seen the suggestion that you are not a family if you only have one child.

I DO, however, experience prejudice regularly today being in a relationship with someone and us having NO children. The idea that you are NOT a "family" until you have a child (or more than one) is everywhere today. People asking "When are you going to start a family" or celebrating couples who announce they are "so happy to be starting our family" once they are expecting, etc. Now that's something I resent significantly and wish would change. It's very much possible to have a family of two, just like some might have a family of three, four, five or more.

1. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

WELL SAID INDEED.  WHAT AN ELOQUENT STATEMENT!

working