jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

What makes some people have a very uncomfortable, even negative relationship w/m

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What makes some people have a very uncomfortable, even negative relationship w/money, wealth,

the accumulation of wealth, and the correlation between money, wealth, and quality of life?

2. NiaLee profile image59
    NiaLeeposted 2 years ago

lol love your picture because it is exactly what it looks like. Some people have been really broke and are so scared that they become controlling, obsessed, stingy. Some others have no realistic vision of money, they spend on any and everything, some have a need to spend to feel good, overspend, etc… it depends on personality, education, upbringing, life experience, parents, siblings, friends, etc… all these matters can push someone to not control themselves around money and money matters. I know a loved one who slept 4 hours a night for 20 years to amass a fortune, he was killed at 41 for his money by his best friend who knew he always lots of cash because he didn't trust the system… sad but true. In everything wisdom and measure are the keys.

1. Ana Kolomeka profile image75
      Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I've done both - been tight-fisted and a spendthrift. In my case, ignorance, an unrealistic attitude and poor role models played a role.

3. Ana Kolomeka profile image75
    Ana Kolomekaposted 2 years ago

I strongly believe ignorance and unrealistic attitudes play a major role.  Like a lot of ghetto people, I grew up seeing money as a status symbol, and a means to live a life of luxury.  When I had to support myself, I was forced to become tight-fisted and stingy.  I then learned the hard way that true wealth is not how much you earn and the fancy things on which you spend it, but the way you budget your income and how much of your money is working for you.
    Ideally, when kids set out on their own, they should have job skills that can earn them a decent living in their area and a MINIMUM of one month's income in a passbook savings account.  Before buying a house, you should have a YEAR'S income in the bank.  You should start saving for retirement as soon as you get your first job, aiming to live solely off the interest of your investments.  If everyone did that, passing on their retirement accounts to their children after they die, we would soon have a very wealthy society.
    P.S.  Regarding the national debt - "He is rich who owes nothing." ~ French / Hungarian Proverb.