Is a Blue Moon, such as the one tonight, ever really blue in color, or does it m

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 8 years ago

Is a Blue Moon, such as the one tonight, ever really blue in color, or does it mean it is rare?

Tonight there is going to be  a special Blue Moon.  I do not believe I've ever seen one, but wonder if it is called a Blue Moon because it is a rare happening, being there are two full months this month.  Has anyone ever seen a Blue Moon, and is it blue and what is the real reason why they are calling it a Blue Moon?  Thank you for answering.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12561512_f260.jpg

2. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 8 years ago

I'm not an expert in Astronomy, Faith, But I remember the "Blue Moon" event being explained to me.  I'll try to tell you without confusion!

In one year, there are FOUR Seasons consisting of 3 months each.....Thus each astronomical "season" has  THREE FULL MOONS...one for each month.

Every now and then (I do not know the time spans!) there is a 2nd moon in a particular month .....OR....said another way.....a 4th moon in the season.
    That 2nd FULL moon of that particular month is the "BLUE MOON.".....
    Because it is RARE.....we get that expression about "once in a blue moon.".......

That full moon is blue in color only sometimes.....not always.   The blue is not the moon...it's particles in the atmosphere that cause the moon to appear blue......

I just looked outside, but it's not quite dark enough for the full moon to show right now......I do want to see it and make a wish!

The next Blue moon is suppose to be Saturday May 21st. 2016.  And trust me Faith......It will be a BLUE MOON before I try to explain this again!!    Whew!!     Did I confuse you?   I sure confused myself!!

Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Wow, Paula, thank you so much!  No, you did not confuse me at all.  I appreciate the in-depth answer and now I get it.  I am looking now too, and it is still not quite dark enough. The blue moon song keeps going through my mind. You're awesome!

3. Anne Harrison profile image93
    Anne Harrisonposted 8 years ago

From what I can gather, the origins of the expression is rather obscure. It may have been a mispronunciation of the Old English term belewe, to betray - the extra moon in the month confusing calendars etc. The best reference I found is at http://www.worldwidewords.org/ - a great source for anyone interested int e history of language.

Hi Anne, I have learned something new in your answer here ...the belewe, and how interesting about  the "to betray"  ...thanks for the link too. Yes, I've wondered about that saying, once in a blue moon.

4. Elsie Hagley profile image70
    Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years ago

A blue moon is when there are two full moons in the same month.
    New Zealand had a blue moon in July 2015, the 2nd of July and the 30th July. That is a blue moon to my knowledge and it's not usually blue.

HI Elsie, thank you so much for answering.  Yes, I think you are right. I think it may be light gray or pale and then sometimes blue, as that photo I have is from wiki ...? I need to go out and look again.

5. syzygyastro profile image81
    syzygyastroposted 8 years ago

It means two full moons in a single month; that is all. It is rare, because, you need a month of at least 30 days and the full moons must fall near the first and last days of that month. As our calendar is somewhat arbitrary, this is not universal. For instance, Muslims, Jews and some other cultures use different calendars and month in which there is no blue moon in the current period. In the Mayan month of 20 days, a blue moon scenario is impossible.

Hi William, yes, that is what I was thinking. I just saw the moon and it is not blue lol. That is so interesting about the calendars! Thank you for sharing those important facts as they are pertinent!

6. bravewarrior profile image88
    bravewarriorposted 8 years ago

A blue moon is one that occurs for the second time in a calendar month. They are rare.

In an article posted by ABC News (July 31, 2015), "A truly blue colored moon can occur on rare occasions, according to NASA, with most being spotted after volcanic eruptions. It's also possible Friday's moon could be red.

"Often, when the Moon is hanging low, it looks red for the same reason that sunsets are red, NASA explains. "The atmosphere is full of aerosols much smaller than the ones injected by volcanoes. These aerosols scatter blue light, while leaving the red behind."

Oh, how cool, dear Sha, that you have addressed the color of blue aspect of my question and have found truly fascinating facts as to why and how the blue may occur!  Awesome answer. Thank you!

2. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome, Faith!

3. Faith Reaper profile image83

So many have provided further insight, however, being you have provided the facts on when the moon may actually turn blue, I will choose your answer as best.  Appreciate you.  Hope you are enjoying an awesome weekend.

4. bravewarrior profile image88
      bravewarriorposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Awesome. Thanx! It's raining here (again), but having a nice weekend nonetheless. Hope you are too!

5. Faith Reaper profile image83

You're welcome.  It is a beautiful weekend here with less humidity for a change!  Blessings

7. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

The moon turns blue?  Thought moon is always yellow

We are talking about the rare occasion when two full moons occur in one month, and Sha has shared how sometimes it may appear blue in color.  There are many songs written about "Blue Moon".

8. Hazel Abee profile image61
    Hazel Abeeposted 8 years ago

I think you got your answer .. it is definitely 2 moons in one month. this is where the phrase 'Once in a Blue Moon' is originated from because the occurrence is so rare that when we want to refer something to occur rarely we use this phrase.

Hi Hazel, yes, I did about the rare occurrence of the Blue Moon and then the added information about when it does have a blue hue to it.  I know there are many songs about the "Blue Moon" and that common phrase.

9. frogyfish profile image74
    frogyfishposted 8 years ago

Faith Reaper, you've received some excellent and informative answers, and the consensus is that a blue moon relates to the incidence of two full moons in one month - yes, plus some variable additives related.  I looked up your question  to see what was available, and further answers are:  A blue moon can relate to absurdity, to time, and to a French meaning, 'la duex lune', meaning "double moon" AND sounding similar to 'blue moon' in English. And actually, there is a rare occurrence when a moon may look bluish from volcanic ash, but this evidently does not portray the modern meaning of our term 'blue moon'.

So...Though I knew a moon of blue meant two to see in one, I searched around and shortly found, the moon is round and 'weighs a ton'.*
    *Now there's another phrase for you...Cheers!

Hi frogyfish, yes, there are some great answers here.  Oh, wow, you have come up with additional and interesting information! LOL on the being round and weighs a ton ...Cheers!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)