jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What are the ways that oversensitivity and political correctness has reached the

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

What are the ways that oversensitivity and political correctness has reached the extreme

in the United States?  It seems that one cannot say anything without someone being offended.  As a result of such asinine political correctness and oversensitivity, many people are verbally hesitant to say what they feel and think less someone's feelings are hurt.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12499699_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

I think it's killed comedy in many ways.
    There could never have been a Richard Pryor in today's climate.
    A show like "The Honeymooners" where Jackie Gleason routinely threatened to punch his wife Alice would never fly.
    Formerly accepted words such as fat, retarded, midget are now called having curves, mentally challenged, and little people.
    More often than not one's utterance of the "wrong word" should be seen as ignorance and not an attempt to intentionally offend anyone.
    I can still recall when it was acceptable for African Americans to describe themselves as colored and black . Asians were called Oriental and so on. I'm waiting on the day the homeless will say:
    "We're not homeless! We're (Urban Campers)!"
    Some folks will always strive to keep up with the latest terminology people prefer and others will stick to what they originally were taught.
    This also applies to some things that are considered sexual harassment in the workplace. Several years ago a woman filed a complaint after (overhearing) two male co-workers describe a "Jerry Seinfeld" episode that involved the main characters trying to hold out the longest from masturbating. She was offended and won her lawsuit. A lot of PC is subjective regardless of one's intent.
    Now days if one tells a joke they'd better be ready to apologize for offending someone!

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY, one must be so careful not to hurt wittle feelings.

3. napetv profile image42
    napetvposted 2 years ago

I think things are shifting back into the "politically incorrect" direction over the last year. Terms like "anchor baby" and Amy Schumer openly talking about anal sex, are examples I've heard while watching primetime television just the past 48 hours.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Generally speaking right now those are "the exceptions" and not the rule. Folks are still losing money, jobs, and prestige over what they say or post online. Even Trump has lost (millions of dollars) from business deals for his statements.

working