jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Is Halloween becoming the New Xmas?

1. Oztinato profile image72
    Oztinatoposted 2 years ago

Is Halloween becoming the New Xmas?

Atheists reject xmas but embrace such things like halloween, "movember", "talk like a pirate day" etc that demean human nature.

2. Aime F profile image85
    Aime Fposted 2 years ago

I don't think that on the whole atheists reject Christmas.  Most of the people I know are atheists and most of them also love Christmas.  I am one of the most Christmas-loving people you'll ever meet and I'm an atheist.

I'm not a big Halloween person but I think it's fun for kids to dress up and go out and get candy.  It's also fun to decorate. 

Do you know what Movember is about?  What about raising awareness for cancer is demeaning, exactly?

Oztinatoposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Firstly an atheist celebrating xmas is a contradiction as xmas is about jc. I believe atheists prefer to call it "festivus" after a seinfeld joke. Without JC xmas merely becomes a celebration of materialism. Cancer awareness ok, silly gimmicks not.

2. Aime F profile image85
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It's about more than materialism for me but I don't really care if you approve of my traditions or not.

Movember has raised millions of dollars for cancer research/treatment, so gimmick or not, it's helping.  How can you be cynical about that?

3. Oztinato profile image72

The topic is Halloween. Stunts like "talk like a pirate day" and "movember" are based on beer humour. I'm not against cancer funding.

3. Damian10 profile image29
    Damian10posted 2 years ago

The key word in Christmas is Christ.  I never understand why atheists would celebrate Christmas?  Even Halloween, All Hallows' Eve is followed by Nov 1-- All Saints Day.  Being politically correct and being correct sometimes are not indeed the same things.

Without inner spiritual meanings saints days and xmas get turned into materialism.

2. Damian10 profile image29
      Damian10posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Exactly and the true meaning gets lost completely.  If Aimee knew you she would know that you would be a staunch advocate for cancer research/ awareness.  It is a great cause.

3. Aime F profile image85
      Aime Fposted 2 years agoin reply to this

For a lot of people (including atheists) Christmas is a happy, peaceful time centred around doing nice things for their families.  Isn't that a good thing?  Aren't you guys supposed to be all about spreading the joy?

4. Oztinato profile image72

I work in hospitality and movember is avidly supported by pubs as it increases alcohol consumption at pubs: ironically alcohol causes some cancers. Its the "beer humour" replacing spiritual approaches that I don't like.

working