jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

When will we as human societies progress beyond parochial tribalism whether it i

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

When will we as human societies progress beyond parochial tribalism whether it is familial, ethnic,

racial,  &/or religious to the state that we humans are all ONE FAMILY?   Didn't the various holocausts of the 20th centuries & a few even in the early 21st century teach us the banality of the tribal mentality-the us vs them mindset?  We are beyond such constraints.  We need to reach out to each other & realize that we are ONE!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7670516_f260.jpg

2. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 2 years ago

When?  OMG wouldn't that be an amazing change to humanity!  A most interesting read is War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges.  He stated that in all of written history there has only been 79 days without war.  That sentence has stuck with me ever since I read the book.

Is it still tribalism, or just one gigantic manipulation of emotive forces that has our attention strongly focused on division, them and us, less than more than, better than v worse than, richer v poorer, mine or his?

"Internally we are all fighting the same war.  Externally it's a big blame game which keeps us distracted and forever fighting someone else.  While the fight is with someone or something outside of ourselves, the game of war will never be won - not even by the supposed victor."

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have to get that book, sounds insightful!

2. Jewels profile image84
      Jewelsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The quote above was actually mine.  But the book is one of the most notable books I've read in a long time.  I extracted about 5 pages of quotes from it.  Worth reading.  Hedges is a non-practising theologian, he could have asked this question.

3. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12713097_f260.jpg

I suspect there are many people who feel you can't have real diversity without acknowledging and celebrating cultural differences.
    Just as I've heard of women who "fear losing themselves" in relationships there are those in various ethnic groups who resist or fear losing their ethnicity if commonalities are emphasized over differences.
    My guess is this is one of the reasons why some people are against interracial relationships or marrying others of a different faith. They have this belief that "being one" potentially destroys diversity, lineage, and ancestry. For these people diversity ensures purity.
    I have also heard of Americans traveling to foreign countries and being somewhat disappointed to see those countries have become "Americanized"  (Mc Donalds, Burger King, KFC, Walmart....)
    In many ways the Internet, "global economy" "pop culture"  sports, and "social media" are already {gradually} unifying the world.
    As older generations die off it's more likely the idea of being  one will become more accepted. However there will always be some folks who are steadfast in maintaining lines of separation.

working