What are THE TOP TEN REASONS that people are religious? No holds barred, be as frank as
I'm not religious myself, so I can only state what I believe may be reasons why others are religious based on my observations. I'm sure that not everyone will agree.
1) The fear of death.
2) To lessen feelings of helplessness.
3) The hope that people more powerful than themselves will be held accountable for perceived wrongs in an afterlife.
4) The need for future rewards to help them make moral choices today.
5) Indoctrination from parents or other authority figures.
6) The unwillingness to believe that the universe will continue just fine even though they no longer exist in any way.
7) The thought that heaven will provide them with the feelings of satisfaction, peace, and justice that they haven't been able to find in life.
8) The desire to see loved ones made whole again.
9) The desire to get answers to questions that really have no answers.
10) For a sense of community with like-minded people, hopefully for the purpose of doing something that they feel is helpful to the community.
1. Religious indoctrination during their early childhood.
2. Fell in love/married or befriended a religious person.
3. Suffered through a major ordeal and sought a higher power.
4. Went to prison and sought to save their soul.
5. Military duty during time of war
6. Decided religious morals were good for their children.
7. Found a minister, church, or religion that "clicked" with them
8. Networking opportunities in "mega churches".
9. To find a "good mate" for marriage.
10. To earn money as an ordained minister/launch a new career
1. FEAR of a powerful creature that they do not understand!
2. Indoctrination into the cult
3. Because they cannot imagine infinity
4. Because they do not, can not, will not, understand the scientific method for studying the natural universe.
5. Fear of dying
6. Fear of "hell"
7. Fear of excommunication
8. Fear of being criticized for rational thinking
9. Fear of being alone
10. Fear of being wrong about their religion.
But mostly FEAR!
Religious people are trapped by fear. They cower at the very thought that just saying a "curse" word or two will damn them to hell.
They are afraid of being judged unworthy for some stupid reason like having freckles. (idiotic)
They are afraid of the bogeyman.
I am not a very religious person but I do believe in Spirituality.
People may be religious:
1. because they have been brought up in religious atmosphere;
2. because they believe in the birth cycle;
3. because they do not want to carry the baggage of their sins in their next life;
4. because they have fear of the unknown;
5. because they have faith in 'The Supreme' that nothing can go wrong if they pray to 'Him';
6. Sometimes it becomes difficult to break away from religious tradition even if they want to;
7. Most of the times, Religion is a part of the culture and people love to practice their own culture;
8. Religion makes them feel secure;
9. It makes people disciplined;
10. Religion can provide answers to their 'questions.'
by Grace Marguerite Williams22 months ago
What are the MOST SELFISH reasons that people have children?
by kerryg8 years ago
Top Ten Reasons To Immigrate to CanadaSerious and humorous answers accepted
by crankalicious5 years ago
Is religion taught from birth a form of brainwashing?If you teach a child from birth a particular religion, is this not brainwashing? Would that child discover that religion on their own if it's something they weren't...
by Christin Sander4 years ago
Why do those who routinely ask questions to provoke atheists/agnostics do so?Some people here and elsewhere seem to constantly need to question atheists, only to not listen to the answers and belittle the very people...
by Kathryn L Hill2 years ago
by kerryg7 years ago
Top Ten Reasons Not To Immigrate To CanadaSerious and humorous answers accepted
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.