This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Did time exist before the Big Bang?

1. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Did time exist before the Big Bang?

2. Besarien profile image84
    Besarienposted 2 years ago

Not as we know it. No, time did not exist.

However, according to string theory something like it probably did. So pre-bang, a singularity formed that created space time as we know it and started a new beginning.

According to Aztec myth, this is the fifth "time" that has existed. A god sacrificed himself to bring it into reality. (I just did an Aztec hub so that is where my head is, at the moment.) It's as good an answer as anybody can give us, though, at this point in science, or at least as far as I know.

3. Buildreps profile image88
    Buildrepsposted 2 years ago

There was another universe before the big bang. I see no reason why in that universe time wouldn't exist.

4. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 2 years ago

I don't think it did.  God created the big bang and created time.

5. VerityPrice profile image92
    VerityPriceposted 2 years ago

Time is often described as the 4th dimension. So in that respect it could be said that time only exists as long as there is a being able to perceive this 4th dimension.

Objects withering, dying and decaying  is all due to entropy increase not the passing of time. So really, time is just another tool that humans invented to keep organised and to be able to communicate efficiently.

6. Venkatachari M profile image38
    Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago

I hope time is the perception of man. It is created by man for his own convenience of measuring the chronology of events. Otherwise there should be no 'time'. It can be only a cycle of events taking place.

7. Ericdierker profile image57
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

Time is a man made construct. Change does not require time but we notice it in time. A plant grows, it just grows, we measure it in time but it is the same as the seed. Changes occur and they do not require time. In fact in my mind I reverse time. I can go back and change things, we do it all the "time". When is a funny word. Then is a funny word. Is is a normal word.

How is that for way out there?

8. 1701TheOriginal profile image99
    1701TheOriginalposted 24 months ago

I looked into this briefly in my hub:

http://hubpages.com/education/The-Natur … That-Ensue

It would seem that it is a yes, but it depends on the theory presented in the hub.

working