jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

At what age is it NOT okay for a Teacher to comfort a student with a hug?

1. prektjr.dc profile image86
    prektjr.dcposted 24 months ago

At what age is it NOT okay for a Teacher to comfort a student with a hug?

Teachers are often with students more than their parents, especially in lower grades.  It is natural to hug a child to comfort them. However, in light of all the abuse in our world, is it still permissible? Until what age is it appropriate? Would you, as a parent, prefer a teacher NEVER hug a child, or is it okay? What alternative do you suggest? How do we protect our children while keeping education personable?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5690836_f260.jpg

2. MonetteforJack profile image72
    MonetteforJackposted 24 months ago

I am not sure.  But, everyone needs a comforting hug now and then, no matter what age. And sometimes, a hug means "proud of you" moments or "happy for your" moments.  In today's times, I guess the hugging of students would depend on the graveness of the situation.  And, when students reach puberty, that's when the Teacher have to be careful with the hugs and touch.  I guess, being consistent with the talks, regularity in school activities, rules and regulations and having serious discussions would be ways of showing comfort and give stability in a student's life.  As for protection, the ways are making sure the school environment is a safe haven physically and socially. Although the Teacher plays a great role in this, all school administrators and personnel are responsible too, for keeping the children safe.

1. prektjr.dc profile image86
      prektjr.dcposted 24 months agoin reply to this

I totally agree. It is important for children to have comfort and understanding. In addition, it is the role of all school personnel to safeguard our children!  Thanks for reading and commenting!

3. Michaela Osiecki profile image77
    Michaela Osieckiposted 24 months ago

I think a lot of this has to do with the child's comfort as well. Because even as a young kid, I certainly didn't like being hugged by anyone that wasn't family and that discomfort only grew as I got older, so I think it would depend really heavily on the child.

The parents too, might have their own say on whether they're okay with their child being hugged at certain ages.

4. tamarawilhite profile image92
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

The cut off is definitely by the start of puberty.

5. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 24 months ago

Depends on if the student is comfortable with it and the relationship that they have with the teacher.  Growing up I had teachers that were just teachers, but I also had teachers that were mentors and on some level, friends.

When I was 16 I had one of my favourite (male) teachers hug me right after I was back in class again after my dad passed away and he could see I was struggling to be back.  There was nothing sinister about it and I actually found it extremely comforting to have a teacher show me such warmth. 

If it's unwanted then I think it's inappropriate - but then the same could be said for any type of affection shown towards anyone by anyone, not just hugs between students and teachers.

6. profile image0
    candyhippieposted 24 months ago

My first thought is that teachers should simply hug kids back, regardless of the children's ages. I don't see why a teacher would initiate a hug. But I think it's great for teachers to be receptive when the kids initiate hugs.

7. KoffeeKlatch Gals profile image81
    KoffeeKlatch Galsposted 23 months ago

I believe that it depends on the student and the teacher.  I think sometimes a student just needs a hug.  I think a side hug is perfectly allowable.

working