jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

What is a Truth? Can A Truth Be A Truth Without Evidence?

1. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 17 months ago

What is a Truth? Can A Truth Be A Truth Without Evidence?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13190588_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Cissy1946posted 17 months ago

I think the answer must be yes. Both truth and the evidence that supports it are only as good as the information you have on hand at any given time. Example: Once upon a time people thought the world was flat. For them that was a truth. Ships would sail off into the sunset and never return so their answer for that was they fell off the end of the earth But no one ever came back from falling off the end of the world so they never had actual evidence, just belief that it was true. Then one day it was discovered that the earth was round and the old truth, that was valid for the people who believed it, was no longer true. So the old truth was accepted without evidence while the new truth had the evidence to back up the belief.

threekeysposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Great example cissy!

2. WordCrafter09 profile image77
      WordCrafter09posted 17 months agoin reply to this

I'd agree that it's a good example in general, but the truth is the truth; so what people believe to be true and what is actually "the truth" can be two different things without being "changing truths".

3. threekeys profile image80

I guess that depends if you are seeing the intrapersonal truth versus the interpersonal truth. Many levels of truth. Context is always needed to see or find your truth, I feel.

3. profile image59
    Setank Setunkposted 17 months ago

Truth today, is an homocentric affectation. The socially complex and leisurely lives we live today deny many the opportunities to understand 'self' or individual value within a group. Instead we project an 'idea of self' that suits our environment. The humility that develops from experiences which define 'self' allow us to honestly evaluate our beliefs and experiences while the latter prevents such clarity.
    Without a sense of self there can be no sense of truth; just a projected idea of truth that cannot be wholly defined.

If I understood you...yes we are a multifaceted diamond whose side/s shine or shadow depending what the mix of chemistry is with another. Having humility or being humiliated will make you see your skeletal self. Then you see if you like what is.

2. profile image59
      Setank Setunkposted 17 months agoin reply to this

Eloquently put ThreeKeys,  your diamond is an excellent metaphor.

4. WordCrafter09 profile image77
    WordCrafter09posted 17 months ago

I'd say that "the truth" is what is, whether anyone sees it or understands it; or whether anyone can, say, prove it in court (to meet standards of proving something) or not; or whether someone/something (like Science) can say with complete (but "legitimate", rather than just a matter of of over-blown/inappropriate confidence) certainty that there is nothing more about any particular "truth" that could be learned and could reveal what has been thought of as "the truth" to have been incorrect/incomplete).

There are different types/levels of "truth" (big, universal, truth versus, say, little and individual truth (not to be confused with perception).  Whether or not something can be true without there absolutely being evidence would, I think, depend on the type/level of "truth" but also on the type/level of evidence required/expected.  Smaller-scale truth, smaller-scale evidence - yes, there can certainly be truth without evidence sometimes.   Absolute proof is one thing.  Evidence is another.

The other side to some kinds of evidence of some types of truth is that there can sometimes be plenty of evidence but someone is either not willing to look for it or look hard enough for it - or else someone doesn't recognize it (or maybe even want to recognize it) when it is right there in front of them.

So many angles covered Wordcrafter.What is your personal defintion of proof? And of evidence?

5. manatita44 profile image83
    manatita44posted 17 months ago

I believe you exist. Do you? I believe you exist. Do?

Manitita have you replied with a Koan? As I am, mystified at this minute.

working