jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you have a philosophy on education? What is it?

1. mcwriter profile image82
    mcwriterposted 17 months ago

Do you have a philosophy on education? What is it?

We met at the Starbucks and struck a conversation when I asked for your views on education. What would be your 1 to 3 sentence answer?

2. Pax Pacis profile image88
    Pax Pacisposted 17 months ago

Education prevents indoctrination. That is why so few young people are actually educated these days; schools are focused on indoctrination, not education. 

Yes, I have a B.S. from a real university, and I still think this.

1. mcwriter profile image82
      mcwriterposted 17 months agoin reply to this

How does one define a "real" university?

3. Tusitala Tom profile image63
    Tusitala Tomposted 17 months ago

Read an excellent explanation on what it would be far more preferable for our Educational institutions to focus on rather than Knowledge.   Found it in Neale Donald Walsch's Conversations with God - Book Two.   Excellent reading!

From memory, we are advised to focus our infant and primary education on such subjects as Values, Qualities and various skills that would enable people to see their integral links with one another, Nature, and the world at large.   

The gathering of Knowledge (facts and the like) could then be introduced at the High School age when the fundamentals of HOW to live harmoniously have been well integrated into children's minds.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 17 months ago

Teach children how to read and build their vocabulary so they can understand what they read when self-teaching. Incentivize reading non-fiction so they want to read.

working