jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What If: What if your surgeon, your g.p, your lawyer, your judge, your financial

1. threekeys profile image81
    threekeysposted 15 months ago

What If: What if your surgeon, your g.p, your lawyer, your judge, your financial adviser,

your politician is high on legalized recreational drugs? What if your life or your money is in the hands of these professionals? Do you think they would be aptly cognizant to make a decision,  let alone make a decision for another person, like you?
    In other words do you think you are in safe hands of a g.p or surgeon who is affected by recreational drugs? Australia is copying America and pushing for legalizing cannabis. Dont get me wrong. On one hand I believe drug taking needs to be decriminalized. But then I dont want that to be the green light for living in a world of drug affected people.

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 15 months ago

What if your surgeon, your GP, your lawyer, your judge, your financial adviser, and your politicians are drinking their lunches, and drunk half the time? How is weed any different?

Just as we have laws about when and where it's appropriate to be under the influence of alcohol, we should have laws about when it's OK to be high. At home? Definitely. In the operating room, or the courtroom? Nope. While operating a motor vehicle? Nope.

The laws just have to catch up to the new reality. Marijuana is no more hazardous than alcohol, but excessive use of either, or use in a business setting, is a problem.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image28
    bradmasterOCcalposted 15 months ago

Weed is no different than Alcohol or Tobacco, and possibly has more benefits than those two.
    Until Alcohol, and Tobacco are treated the same as Weed, there is a perception problem within the trinity of these substances.

They should be treated like they were the Three Musketeers.
    I don't have a problem getting rid of all three of them. And if Weed is made uniformly legal, I still wouldn't partake of it.

Treat weed the same as Alcohol and Tobacco, and put more focus on other Class 1 Narcotics.
    ...............................Yes, I know Obama still wants Weed to remain a Class 1 Federal Narcotic.

A more serious problem is the prescription Narcotics that are probably as bad or worse than Weed.

Also, consider that over the counter drugs have some serious ingredients that people are buying to extract them, and all we have done is require id when buying them.

4. Ericdierker profile image53
    Ericdierkerposted 15 months ago

In the late seventies to early '80's it was not unusual to have Martini lunches. We met a places like "Johnny's" or "The Office" or "The Lookout". Many a deal was scratched out on bar napkins. Settlements in court were reached and doctors who had been up since three headed home.
    Perhaps by now the culture has adopted healthier ways to meet and make the smokey backroom deals.
    In many cases I think not. You could make it a Hooka Lounge type atmosphere. And it appears you can actually do the same on a basketball, handball or tennis court -- obviously the Golf court but that often involves drinking. Remember smoking in the 70's was allowed anywhere,
    Nowadays they have a cannabis concoction for just about any need or occasion.
    Strange with all this openness about pot, I note that the real performers in just about any skill or profession don't get anything less than sober anywhere close to performance time.
    There are formidable examples that would tilt the scales. You have Winston Churchill a clear drunk and Bob Marley a clear pothead, both imbibed much during extremely great performances.
    I just wonder how many real untold heroes there were in Vietnam that were all jacked up on stuff. We even get to the timeless unique and not repeated mastery of T. Leary. Incredible works in a niche that he created. Hunter S. Thompson also comes to mind along with Janis Joplin and the magician of music Hendrix. Sure dead before their times -- or were they?
    Do I want a surgeon with a slipped disk who is the best in town, hovering over my weakened body hopped up on hops, Vicodin or pot?
    Do I want the best lawyer who suffers from Bi-polar like Abraham Lincoln hopped up on pot or more potent psyche meds -- I still want him as my lawyer.
    What was Edgar Allen Poe on? I forget but I do not forget his works. Do we dare mention Hemingway?   Weren't Jung and Freud on something like Sherlock Holmes. I believe our friends Plato and Socrates were imbibers.

So it has always been my belief that looking into a pro's eyes tells the story. Not a drug test. Caffeine and Nicotine? Sugar and Guevara?
    How about the stupid professional whose body chemistry is whacked because of extreme love and joy? Dopamine, Serotonin and Melatonin? Sleep deprived like operating interns in teaching hospitals?
    Give me a paying attention stoned dude behind the wheel anyday over a House mom leaving her son's school and texting to meet a friend.

What I mean is do not throw a person who gets stoned under the bus