jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Are school vouchers a good idea? Should school taxes be used for private schools

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 15 months ago

Are school vouchers a good idea? Should school taxes be used for private schools?

It looks like there's a national push to have school vouchers. What will that do to our public education system?

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 15 months ago

That is a sure way to decimate our already failing public school systems and ensure that many kids are left with very few options.  You can't voucher everyone into a private school, so then you end up with kids in already economically challenged areas feeling even less hope than they already do.  It will lead to increases in crime, a less educated society (and we already have that problem) and so many other issues. 

I think we need to fix our broken public education system with those funds, not pass around that money to private interests who seek to profit from it.

3. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 15 months ago

I am against it, though in favor of private schools, because the money readily comes with requirements.
    For example, colleges have to obey Title 9 reinterpretations to say mentally ill biologically intact men get to use the women's dorm, play on the women's team and share the women's showers if they accept federal funds. Ditto public K-12 schools.
    I want private schools to be independent of the state so they don't have to alter their teachings or mission to keep the state's money, so no to the vouchers.
    The alternative I see is a federal and state tax deduction for personal education expenses to K-12 schools just as one can deduct college and continuing education expenses as an adult. This keeps the state out of the affairs of private schools while still improving parental choice.

4. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 15 months ago

No, No, and NO! This idea was cooked up to be a back door to get children into religious schools. So, maybe a few do get sent as "tokens" to Montessori and a few other types of private schools, but the majority will go to private narrow-minded propaganda mills where "leeabruls" don't send their children. The only ones to benefit from school vouchers are the churches and their schools. I won't go so far as to say that these children lucky enough to get vouchers are assured a good education. They may be taught technology and the 3Rs, but how will they learn true science when they are taught such things as creationism, LGBTs doomed to Hell, and women are 2nd class citizens.

And I echo what Christin Sander said about vouchers being a sure way to decimate our already failing public school systems. Discriminatory public charter schools are already doing enough damage to the public school system, but at least estems and other charters are teaching children to think.

Vouchers pour money into churches and religious organizations and take away our tax dollars from public schools. The Supreme Court should declare them unconstitutional.

1. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 15 months agoin reply to this

and this too! I wasn't going to get into the religious element of it, but yes, I see it also as a ploy to get tax money into religious schools.

2. MizBejabbers profile image91
      MizBejabbersposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Christin, I think you have to get into the religious element because that's what it's all about. Tamara has a good point about keeping religious schools independent, also.

3. ChristinS profile image97
      ChristinSposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Totally agree! I just didn't want to turn this important issue into a religious debate as the Q&A tends to sometimes go lol smile.

5. profile image60
    Netty netposted 15 months ago

I don't know, I read up on the subject thanks

working