jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

1. Ashish Dadgaa profile image57
    Ashish Dadgaaposted 13 months ago

If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13488473_f260.jpg

2. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 13 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13488517_f260.jpg

Ego, pride, and vanity.
    Everyone wants others to only see them at their best.
    A lot of people never got over their childhood experiences of having other kids laughing or making fun of them when they made mistakes as a child.
    No one wants to be "the butt" of the joke.
    Lastly sometimes a mistake can make all the difference as to whether one gets a promotion, a date with someone special, or gets taken advantage of in any transaction. Mistakes cost us!
    It's human nature to want to avoid pain & embarrassment.

1. gregas profile image80
      gregasposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Mistakes can also be very costly.

2. Ashish Dadgaa profile image57
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 13 months agoin reply to this

@Greg,

I agree with you. Mistakes might come in an expensive way.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 13 months ago

That can lead to many answers and discussions. I think one factor is the fear of making mistakes 'may' be a matter of the rate between success and failures. If failures are more then there is more fear of making a mistake. It is a process of conditioning as much as learning. Also, is the risk vs. reward formula. Is the reward of learning worth the value of some loss perhaps with penalty attached, thus risk assessment. And, then of course comes along gambling. Finally, arrives forgiveness a whole new discussion. A note is even though it begins with the natural survival instinct it evolves to psychological explained by many 'different' theories.

1. dashingscorpio profile image87
      dashingscorpioposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Excellent point regarding forgiveness.
      However these days mistakes aren't simply "unintentional actions". A person caught cheating on their mate will often say they made a "mistake" and want forgiveness.
      No one has sex unintentionally! smile

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 13 months agoin reply to this

Understand your point. IMHO, eventually, a person will have to deal with forgiving them self regard a mistke small or large in my view no matter if they were right or wrong. Even disregarding it (Oh well or no big deal)

3. Ashish Dadgaa profile image57
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 13 months agoin reply to this

@Tim,

Very nice answer. I liked your view. Brilliant.

4. manatita44 profile image82
    manatita44posted 13 months ago

Afraid of the pain; afraid of hurting; afraid of looking foolish; unable to transcend ego.

working