jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What are the differences between a poll and a survey? Is one more trustworthy th

1. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 5 months ago

What are the differences between a poll and a survey? Is one more trustworthy than the other?

2. Ericdierker profile image54
    Ericdierkerposted 5 months ago

I just love word questions. I like to survey a situation with all my senses plus intuition and faith.I like to survey the electricity and vibes.
    But you do not mean that I suppose gathering from your context.
    And I would reckon that unless you grew up in cattle country like me you have no inclination to equate taking the horns off or breeding them off cows as polling.
    But both add to the understanding of how you used the words.
    A survey is a scan. A poll is about vote. (horns or no horns)
    What have you decided is a vote. What do you think about is a survey.
    But marketing demands other stuff or truths.
    What is interesting is that firms sell based on their ability to collect such data. When selling they mix and match the words to meet the desire and expectations of the corporate consumer.
    Think thusly I was youngest of 6 when us kids got to choose we did either a survey of a poll. Survey I had no chance. Poll was about 50 50. I liked polls better because I had a better chance of selling my vote for candy.

3. The0NatureBoy profile image47
    The0NatureBoyposted 5 months ago

I do believe there is something of a difference in polls and surveys.

To my understanding, a poll is supposed to be a sampling of how people feel about something or what they intend to do in a coming event such as voting. My personal belief is political polls are a ploy to entice people to vote the way the polls indicate although often they are not accurate and many times falsified.

My understanding concerning surveys is they are taken after people have sampled a product to determine their likeliness to continue to use it, something done for corporate(?) marketing.

4. nochance profile image93
    nochanceposted 5 months ago

A poll is when you cast votes for something.

A survey is getting a general view or examination of something.

Poll: "Should we go to McDonalds or Burger King today?" Everyone casts a vote for their choice.

Survey: "Which restaurant is your favorite; McDonalds, Burger King, or Subway?" This allows you to see which places are preferred.

They provide different kinds of information. So one would not really be more trustworthy than another.