jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)

What is the difference or differences between discipline and punishment?

1. tsmog profile image81
    tsmogposted 9 months ago

What is the difference or differences between discipline and punishment?

2. Venkatachari M profile image47
    Venkatachari Mposted 9 months ago

Discipline and Punishment are entirely different from one another.
    Discipline is a kind of self-control imposed upon oneself through one's own practice or through the training imparted by parents, teachers, society and the government. It is practiced or developed for one's own benefit as also for the society's benefit.
    Punishment is generally offered to those persons who commit some evil deeds or mistakes. The aim of punishment is to impart a lesson to the offender to refrain him from committing such evil acts or crimes in future as also to tell the public that whoever commits such evil acts will not be spared.
    Sometimes, punishment can be self-imposed where a person realizes his folly and feels very sorry for it by undergoing punishment or self-torture.

1. The0NatureBoy profile image47
      The0NatureBoyposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I have no other answer, Venkatacxhari, very well said.

2. tsmog profile image81
      tsmogposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I kinda' see it that way too. When I think of discipline I think of a regiment I place upon myself to gain something like studying to gain knowledge.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image27
    bradmasterOCcalposted 9 months ago

Discipline can be how someone adheres to the way they do things according to their idea of what they should do. Or it can be a form of punishment, to keep a person disciplined that goes of the track of someone else's way to do things.

A person can have a discipline to not smoke or curse, etc.
    A school, a business, the military, the law have a discipline or way that things need to be done. If the person exceeds their bounds, they can be punished.

1. tsmog profile image81

Other than personal discipline it sounds like punishment is used when discipline does not work?

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image27
      bradmasterOCcalposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Tim, I think that some form of influence is used to keep the discipline. It certainly can include some form of punishment,but it could also include some form of positive reinforcement. imo

4. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 9 months ago

At first, I think they are one and the same. Discipline is perhaps a milder version of punishment.

Punishment is defined as an imposition of an unpleasant or unwnated outcome on a group or individual by an authourity. Here punishment can mean, for example, if you disobey the law, you are classed as criminal and pay with completing a jail sentence.

Discipline has this defintion, of whereby someone is training another person to obey the given set of rules or set code of behaviour, using punishment to correct disobedience. Reason is supposed to be used here.

In my mind though, whenever I think of these two words, I think of punishment and discipline beaing nearly the same thing.

I remember the time when I learnt about a family friend, who was only 7 or 8 years of age at the time.  He was still wetting his bed. His father made him stand in the corner of his bedroom with his hands on his hand for the whole night as his discipline and punishment. The boy peed his pants and he still had to stand there all night. The father was training him not to wet his pants. To me, shaming and cruel. The father had been in the Air Force. I never ever can forget this.

1. tsmog profile image81

It sounds like the friend was punished. It seems to me discipline is used for training purposes and there is some degree of freedom whereas punishment removes freedom?

2. threekeys profile image80
      threekeysposted 9 months agoin reply to this

Yes I think, having a choice/freedom within the scenario can help to distinguish between the understanding of discipline and punishment.
      PS apologies for typos in my answer.

5. dashingscorpio profile image87
    dashingscorpioposted 9 months ago

Punishment is usually meted out by someone towards another.
    Discipline can mean punishment when someone else orders it upon you. However (self-discipline) on the other hand is not a "punishment". It's about {sacrificing} short-term pleasurable activities in order to achieve something bigger/more lasting.
    For example one might choose to save money to buy a car or a home instead of blowing their paycheck partying with friends and buying the latest gadgets for immediate gratification.
    Another example is someone wanting to lose weight opts to eat fruit over a donut...etc (When they'd rather eat the donut.)
    Success in anything in  life generally requires a certain amount of "discipline" or "sacrifice". (Choosing to do without.)
    Being disciplined can lead to having a rewarding life.
    Punishment on the other hand might cause someone to be resentful if they fail to understand the lesson or disagree with whomever is dishing it out.