What are the differences between Pagan and Religious worshipping?

1. Lady Guinevere profile image61
    Lady Guinevereposted 5 years ago

What are the differences between Pagan and Religious worshipping?

I have seen so many people say that Pagan is bad and that pagans say religions are bad.  Do they all have the same things in regards to worship, but only use different language to label the actions or events?  If so what are they?

2. SidKemp profile image94
    SidKempposted 5 years ago

I'm not sure who or what you've been reading, but it seems you've been reading some very poorly informed sources.

There are many religions. Many of them are pagans. Pagan worship is one type of religious worship.

Pagan religions are religions that are either polytheistic (believing in many gods) or indigenous (local, rather than global.

The world religions of the Western world (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam) are monotheist, not polytheist, and are global, not indigenous (local to a specific place for a long time. These three religions are called the Abrahamic religions.

I'm leaving aside all Eastern religion, such as Buddhism and Hinduism, as these distinctions don't apply in the same way.

So the difference is one of history (local or global) and belief (monotheistic or polytheistic. But both Abrahamic religions and Pagan religions are religions, And their worship can be quite similar. In fact, a lot of Christian traditions, such as the date of Christmas, have pagan origins.

There are many commonalities of the practice of worship. Places of worship (temples, synagogues, mosques, churches, sacred groves) are one. Times of worship are another. A Winter season involving the idea of the return of light at the dark of the year is another.

Let us celebrate the divine more each in our own way, and let go of worry about our differences!