jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Why is it difficult for people to unlearn and relearn?

1. Ose Daniels profile image60
    Ose Danielsposted 3 months ago

Why is it difficult for people to unlearn and relearn?

2. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image88
    AshutoshJoshi06posted 3 months ago

I think ease of unlearning depends on when or at what stage the unlearing takes place.  With progressing age and experience, the odds mostly likely diminish.

It also depends on societal appratus including the said person's outlook. Religious outlook can be an example. Finally I think it's also upon the person's mental resolve. Perhaps for me, I relate it more to the mental resolve.

3. Jessie L Watson profile image93
    Jessie L Watsonposted 3 months ago

I agree with AshutoshJoshi06. Environment plays a large role in how people behave. Addicts, for example, have to first remove themselves from triggering stimuli (people, places, things) before they can have a clear shot at learning new behavior. 

Also, it often requires a spiritual revelation that forges a persons resolve. 12 Step Programs have a bad rap because there isn't any statistical data showing how effective they are but they are, by nature, designed to facilitate a spiritual transformation. In my experience, this is the only thing that's truly kept me on a healthy path. People can learn to unlearn one thing, but refrain from unlearning everything else that might be of some genuine benefit to themselves or others. (attitude, diet, work ethic, interpersonal skills).

I hate to be spammy, but I have a couple articles on motivation and learning. No need to follow but those hubs might be worth skimming. Good question. Probably one of the most important.

1. AshutoshJoshi06 profile image88
      AshutoshJoshi06posted 3 months agoin reply to this

True, I think often people find themselves in a tough spot when it comes to unlearing. "To do or not to do?" or  perhaps "What to do and how to do?"
      Cheers!! Have a good day.