Organisations and families are likely to prioritise earthquake preparedness in the wake of the recent seismic activities in the Caribbean and the resulting human tragedy. Well, down the pike came this Doug Copp email on the controversial Triangle of Life method. Is it another urban legend or the best in earthquake education?
READ THIS - IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE
EXTRACT FROM DOUG COPP'S ARTICLE ON THE "TRIANGLE OF LIFE"
Edited by Larry Linn for MAA Safety Committee
My name is Doug Copp. I am the Rescue Chief and Disaster Manager of the American Rescue Team International (ARTI), the world's most experienced rescue team. The information in this article will save lives in an earthquake. I have crawled inside 875 collapsed buildings, worked with rescue teams from 60 countries, founded rescue teams in several countries, and I am a member of many rescue teams from many countries.
I was the United Nations expert in Disaster Mitigation for two years. I have worked at Every major disaster in the world since 1985, except for simultaneous disasters.
In 1996 we made a film, which proved my survival methodology to be correct. The Turkish Federal Government, City of Istanbul , University of Istanbul Case Productions and ARTI cooperated to film this practical, scientific test. We collapsed a school and a home with 20 mannequins inside. Ten mannequins did "duck and cover," and ten mannequins I used in my "triangle of life" survival method.. After the simulated earthquake collapse we crawled through the rubble and entered the building to film and document the results. The film, in which I practiced my survival techniques under directly observable, scientific conditions, relevant to building collapse, showed there would have been zero percent survival for those doing duck and cover. There would likely have been 100 percent survivability for people using my method of the "triangle of life."This film has been seen by millions of viewers on television in Turkey And the rest of Europe, and it was seen in the USA , Canada and Latin America on the TV program Real TV. The first building I ever crawled inside of was a school in Mexico City during the 1985 earthquake.
Every child was under their desk. Every child was crushed to the thickness of their bones.. They could have survived by lying down next to their desks in the aisles. It was obscene, unnecessary and I wondered why the children were not in the aisles. I didn't at the time know that the children were told to hide under something.
Simply stated, when buildings collapse, the weight of the ceilings falling upon the objects or furniture inside crushes these objects, leaving a space or void next to them. This space is what I call the "triangle of life". The larger the object, the stronger, the less it will compact. The less the object compacts, the larger the void, the greater the probability that the person who is using this void for safety will not be injured.. The next time you watch collapsed buildings, on television, count the "triangles" you see formed. They are everywhere.
It is the most common shape, you will see, in a collapsed building. They are everywhere.
TEN TIPS FOR EARTHQUAKE SAFETY
1) Most everyone who simply "ducks and covers" WHEN BUILDINGS COLLAPSE, are crushed to death. People who get under objects, like desks or cars, are crushed.
2) Cats, dogs and babies often naturally curl up in the fetal position. You should too in an earthquake. It is a natural safety/survival instinct. You can survive in a smaller void. Get next to an object, next to a sofa, next to a large bulky object that will compress slightly but leave avoid next to it..
3) Wooden buildings are the safest type of construction to be in during an earthquake. Wood is flexible and moves with the force of the earthquake. If the wooden building does collapse, large survival voids are created. Also, the wooden building has less concentrated, crushing weight. Brick buildings will break into individual bricks. Bricks will cause many injuries but less squashed bodies than concrete slabs.
4) If you are in bed during the night and an earthquake occurs, simply roll off the bed. A safe void will exist around the bed. Hotels can achieve a much greater survival rate in earthquakes, simply by posting a sign on the back of the door of every room telling occupants to lie down on the floor, next to the bottom of the bed during an earthquake.
5) If an earthquake happens and you cannot easily escape by getting out the door or window, then lie down and curl up in the fetal position next to a sofa, or large chair.
6) Most everyone who gets under a doorway when buildings collapse is killed. How? If you stand under a doorway and the doorjamb falls forward or backward you will be crushed by the ceiling above. If the door jam falls sideways you will be cut in half by the doorway.. In either case, you will be killed!
7) Never go to the stairs. The stairs have a different "moment of frequency" (they swing separately from the main part of the building).The stairs and remainder of the building continuously bump into each other until structural failure of the stairs takes place. The people who get on stairs before they fail are chopped up by the stair treads – horribly mutilated. Even if the building doesn't collapse, stay away from the stairs. The stairs are a likely part of the building to be damaged. Even if the stairs are not collapsed by the earthquake, they may collapse later when overloaded by fleeing people. They should always be checked for safety, even when the rest of the building is not damaged.
8) Get Near the Outer Walls Of Buildings Or Outside Of Them If Possible - It is much better to be near the outside of the building rather than the interior. The farther inside you are from the outside perimeter of the building the greater the probability that your escape route will be blocked
9) People inside of their vehicles are crushed when the road above falls in an earthquake and crushes their vehicles, which is exactly what happened with the slabs between the decks of the Nimitz Freeway. The victims of the San Francisco earthquake all stayed inside of their vehicles. They were all killed. They could have easily survived by getting out and sitting or lying next to their vehicles. Everyone killed would have survived if they had been able to get out of their cars and sit or lie next to them. All the crushed cars had voids 3 feet high next to them, except for the cars that had columns fall directly across them.
10) I discovered, while crawling inside of collapsed newspaper offices and other offices with a lot of paper that paper does not compact. Large voids are found surrounding stacks of paper.
SPREAD THE WORD AND SAVE SOMEONE’S LIFE...
You know me, I had to check the claims. Well, guess what? Copp's theory has been refuted by the American Red Cross and other reliable sources. It appears that his credibility is doubtful, and his observations were made outside of USA in regions with less strict building codes.
by Rod Martin Jr 5 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbFldtLnmc8One expert after another goes on record, laying their career on the line, to state, categorically that WTC7 could not have come down except for controlled demolition. Since it takes months to prepare a building of that size, someone would've known long...
by sannyasinman 5 years ago
It's OK to disagree with the governments version of what caused the twin towers and building 7 to collapse on 9/11. A new campaign for truth, and a recent poll shows that 1 in 2 Americans have doubts about the official version of 9/11 as well . . . When you watch the video, your own eyes tell...
by JamesRTaylor 8 years ago
If the economy collapsed, there is no food, you weren't prepared; how will you feed your family?
by sannyasinman 8 years ago
How can 200'000 tons of steel melt in 12 seconds?Why has no other steel building EVER collapsed like the twin towers?Why did building 7 collapse although never hit by anything?Why do the collapsed buildings look like controlled demolitions?These questions and many, many more still need answering....
by FloraBreenRobison 6 years ago
I apologize if there is already a forum on this topic. I couldn't find one.If there is one, could someone provide the link for me.I am sure we have hubbers who live in Mexico. There has been a major Earthquake there-something like 8.9.I would like all hubbers from Mexico to know that we...
by Amanda Littlejohn 4 years ago
Are there any buildings that can withstand earthquakes?With the seemingly increasing incidence of earthquakes and the ensuing disasters for both people and the environment, I was wondering if there were any buildings that could actually withstand a quake and what might make that possible?
|HubPages Device ID|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Google Analytics|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel|
|Google Hosted Libraries|
|Google AdSense Host API|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels|
|Author Google Analytics|
|Amazon Tracking Pixel|