Devolution of Imagination

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (23 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think we are currently evolving towards a devolution of the imagination. We are evolving towards logic, science, and devolving imagination and philosophy when it was imagination and philosophy that founded science.

What do you think?

1. goldenpath profile image66
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  It's when the two work together that progress is made.  However, this progress should uplift and benefit the people both inside and out.  This is where it lacks, and this is where the devolution you speak of kicks in.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think we are evolving into scientific robots incapable of thinking different from what books tell us to think.

In many ways I agree.  We are told to accept scientific findings as fact when history repeatedly tells us that science continually evolves and old text books are being rewritten debunking old schools of scientific thought.  We must be more open minded than that, and as you put it, more imaginative and tolerant of the world around us.

I recently read a scientific article that somewhere they super-heated molecules several times beyond that of the center of the sun.  I am not a science major, but I don't know how this was done.  Anyhow, what fascinated me was that they said the molecules behaved in ways that defied the very principles of physics that are commonly regarded as fact.  One can go in so many directions with this.  It opens the door that "maybe" there are dimensions out there.  "Maybe" there is a God.  "Maybe" there are many Gods and worlds.  "Maybe" there are trains of thought and understanding that make our civilization look puny and archaic.  This simple scientific experiment plated the thought of, "maybe".

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
          Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Which book did you read that in?

2. Rayalternately profile image61
      Rayalternatelyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we are evolving into logical, scientific beings at all. There's no better argument against that supposition than reading through these forums, forums that are awash with anything but logic or science. And no, that wasn't a put down! big_smile

1. EFPotter profile image61
        EFPotterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Can't argue with that. The internet in general is a good example of how people aren't logical or scientific.

2. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ray, I agree, but many think they are using logic and science from what they have read.

3. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rayal:
        I have to respectfully disagree with you! I think your comment is an obvious, well deserved "putdown."
        I think you are being much too respectfull...:-)
        Don't be shy when you are expressing "truth."...:-)

4. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well said.

3. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marine:
      I don't think that the majority of humanity could define either: imagination or philosophy.
      They couldn't care less.
      They are trying to survive and have not been introduced to formal "education."

4. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think we're are losing our imagination. Lots of jobs need it, especially professions like engineering. The engineering design process absolutely requires it.

5. Cly Walsh profile image60
      Cly Walshposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Imagination and philosophy play a key role in many aspects of our lives, including the scientific endeavour. Neither are going anywhere nor are they threatened in any way by progress, that's absurd.

How can we be losing philosophy in favour of science? You can't remove one from the other.

Philosophy is branched many different ways. Without it you wouldn't have for eg. scepticism, idealism, rationalism or empiricism. How on earth can philosophy be separated from science?

2. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

You can't make me let go of my imagination!!! big_smile hi guys just dropping in to say hey wink

Hey, sis!  I keep forgetting to say it, but I love the picture.  You look happy and it's good to see a friendly smile. smile

1. profile image0
        Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

aaa thanks goldenpath...one of the few pictures I had professionally done while working as a teacher smile sad Miss getting my picture taken with the kids and then by myself...

No offense intended, but I really like this one better than the one before.

1. profile image0
            Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol three people have told me that today
            what? too scary?

1. mega1 profile image78
              mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

brooooaaaah ahahahha!  (evil laugh)  and as for devolution?  is it non-linear?  because then, well, that's ok, then!  alrighty!
              next question?

Crap, girl!  I just got done responding to Crazdwriter and saw your picture.  It was almost painful.  If I did that I'd never hear the end of it.  smile

2. goldenpath profile image66

At the risk of offending you, yes.  It's interesting the first impressions we get of people is not the words but the picture they put up.  Your picture came across as someone who wanted to come throught the screen and beat me up.  I held that perception until this picture.  It was quite refreshing but was a reminder to me of how we are all too quick to judge.

My picture makes me look fat, but it's me and who I am.

3. writer923 profile image62
    writer923posted 14 years ago

someone please look at my hubs! thank you!

4. Pandoras Box profile image61
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

What makes you think so Marine?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)