jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

Is my dad being rational when he said this??(about college)

1. David 470 profile image84
    David 470posted 7 years ago

I was talking to my dad about college on the phone and I am going to go college 9am-2pm (3days a week) and then on 2 of the days I have to go back at 6pm. He said (just mentioning) could go with my grandma and get a ride to work at dick sporting goods(night shift) 11pm-7am everyday(only full time no part time) How would I sleep, or eat lol? School all day and nightshift? First off being a sufferer of IBS and anxiety makes this worse I guess I am not logical and he though he was? I would not be able to sleep and barely eat, and never meet my writing goals or weightlifting goals...

1. prettydarkhorse profile image65
      prettydarkhorseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

finding a balance between your physical and mental capability to do your homework and do some reading is your priority, it means just get a job which is manageable for you (in terms of physical and mental requirements.

you don't want to got to school unprepared and sluggish, schooling should be your priority once you set that it is indeed your priority

David 470posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you would die if you did not sleep or eat not to mention with my IBS(irritable bowel) it would be unwise. I should of explained the reasoning behind it to him, but I i did not...oh well.

I want to focus on school,writing on here, and my weightlifting

1. TamCor profile image81
          TamCorposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Does your dad pay for your expenses while you go to college...and for college itself?

Maybe that's why he brought it up--it's possible he thinks you should help out some?

I got tons of financial aid(well I think it was good, better than some others) cause my dad has MS(Multiple serocis) and my mom has anxiety or something.

2. LeanMan profile image88
    LeanManposted 7 years ago

I had to work to pay my way through college, 5 days a week in college till around 5pm (not 2pm, 3 days a week), then work till the early hours in a bar 7 nights a week....
    ...Slept in a cardboard box and only ate pot noodles....

Youth of today... lol

3. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

I am a mom.  My daughter works over night sleep shifts and daytime shifts at a home for mentally handicapped woman and has a job at the school she attends.  She wears herself thin and it worries me sick.  We told her to give up her job that she does the sleep shifts at and keep the job at school. 

She does help out, she pays for her books, paid for 1/2 of her new laptop, buys her own groceries & gas.  She has also started quite the nest egg for Europe next year.

It really depends on the person.  She maintains great grades and remains active on campus.

I admire that, but does she sleep? (you need at least 8 hrs and for me having IBS(stomach problems) and trying consume a certain amount of calories for bodybuilding I need more)

1. Chaotic Chica profile image71
        Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

May I ask what your major is?

None declared, but i am taking classes for writing and criminal justice. Most likely criminal justice. I wanted take up writing, but once i found out that you can not get an associates degree I was like  ahh boy...People have told me I could be a teacher, but I am not charismatic like that..

I am going to have an intro to criminal justice so I'll go from there. Other than that I might want to do something with fitness, but I do not have any classes this semester on that.

I figure I may as well do writing on here and then major on something else in school.

4. Chaotic Chica profile image71
    Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years ago

I don't think he was meaning to be offensive about it. Without knowing whether or not he is helping with your tuition, it is hard to say where he may or may not be coming from.
    What I can say, though, is that he may be looking to see that investment pay off in terms of instilling a work ethic, or maybe he wants to see you get ahead financially or maybe it's about helping you be more independent.
    Either way, it wouldn't hurt to pick up even a part time job, say two days a week.

Yeah, my dad is not your typical dad he did some crazy things as a child such as drugs and stuff...I am totally different than both my Mom and Dad. They never went to college or did any writing like I am trying to accomplish.

I don't have much of a relationship with my mom in my opinion. I talk to her, but I can not really share interests and stuff....as for my Dad hes glad I am going to college, but does not have much knowledge on College, nor writing, or the hobbies I do.

Sorry if I went off topic I apologize lol...

1. Chaotic Chica profile image71
          Chaotic Chicaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It sounds to me like he just really wants you to do better than he did.  To be honest, you have a world of opportunities out there right now and I would reccomend making the most of it.  Hobbies will keep you sane but in the long run, the financial decisions you make now will affect your future. 
          I say this as someone who didn't take full advantage of my youth and wound up a single mom of four children working full time at the auto parts store while going back to school full time to get my welder's certificate, then going home and working on fixing our place before hitting the sack for around five hours to get up and do it again.  All told, I was away from my kids 86 hours a week and that took a toll on our relationship which really hurt.  It wouldn't have been that way if I had taken care of college sooner and had been wiser with my finances. 
          Sacrificing a little sleep now could lead to lots more leisure time later.

"People who are hungry are willing to do the things today others won't  in order to have the things tomorrow that others don't." -author unknown

My Dad has a neutral opinion its not that he wants me to do better than him.(not quite anyway) As for sleep if I do not get enough I automatically get sick from IBS easier.

Going through middle.high school, sucked with it.

working