Explain this

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

A couple weeks ago I heard my phone make the sound it makes when I plug it in.  In the middle of night, I heard my phone plug back in.

In the morning I checked my phone to see what time it was because I thought I was running late.  The microwave read 6:28, my phone, the cable box and the alarm clock in the bedroom said it was 6:08. 

The three that I just mentioned all automatically tell time when you plug them in.  The microwave has to be programmed manually so when the power goes out you have to set the time again but the others ones, you don't.

How did it happen?

Is there such thing as "past time energy"?

Other details

All four units were connected to a different power source, the phone and microwave were on the same breaker for the kitchen.

The alarm clock has a battery back up.

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No ... just hard work ...

Mental Work, consumes more "real time energy" than wrestling ...

The differential, could perhaps be due you hurriedly setting the time on the Microwave  ...

I reckon, your mention of "four setting" ... is probably, because you are thinking about the Fourth Dimension of Theoretical Physics ... Time ... while posting this question about past time energy ...

There is only one Transience ... Life ... we calculate, and keep tab, by mechanical, now quite rare ... and electronic technology's means.

1. profile image49
        ShortStoryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Mental Work, consumes more "real time energy" than wrestling ..."

Say what?

2. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually, It has more to do with the gravitaional field fluctuations being noted, primarily, last I heard, in the south Atlantic, but areas of field anomalies have been noted elsewhere. Some say it has to do with the Mayan Alignment coming up in 2 years.

3. OpinionDuck profile image61
      OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From your account we are to assume that 6:28 is the correct time.
      We again have to assume that when you last set the microwave that it had the correct time.

2. ediggity profile image59
    ediggityposted 13 years ago

Your devices run between a certain voltage. Ex. 90-120 V.  You probably had a small disruption in that voltage, which was enough to keep the devices on, but not maintain their accuracy.  If you have a volt meter you can check the outlets.

An example of that is if you have ever been to Europe and plugged your devices into the outlet without a converter.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aw...and here was me hoping that space aliens were involved. Or Harry Dresden and his technology-killing magic aura. Ah, well.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
        uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the local wizard theory.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, keep trying because his answer isn't correct. smile

3. profile image0

Believe it or not the answer is so simple I can hardly believe it took nearly three weeks to figure it out.

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The microwave restarted at the standard 12:00 setting.  The power was interrupted for 20 minutes.  At 11:40 the power was resumed with the microwave clock starting over at 12:00.  A twenty minutes difference!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

She said the power resumed in the middle of the night, didn't she? I didn't think she would consider 11:40 the middle of the night. The time on the alarm clock, the cable box, and the phone were all correct. The microwave time was the one that was wrong.

Were you cooking something in the microwave that took 6 minutes, 28 seconds earlier? Or did you interrupt something earlier that had this amount of time left to cook in the microwave? Maybe the "time" on the micro wasn't the actual time of day, but the cooking time.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Are ya gonna tell us?

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

I'd blame it all on the Hadron collider and their experiment where they produced a small amount of antimatter! smile

1. Shahid Bukhari profile image60
      Shahid Bukhariposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The LHC does not produce, Matter, hence, Antimatter ... Its an expensive technology, which when fully functional, will approximately mimics the Post Bang State, of Matter ... period ...

1. profile image60
        logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just kidding!

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOL Check the phone power cord, must be either bad wire or bad/poorly seated plug smile

7. profile image0

Actually Randy is right but he cheated!

1. habee profile image93

How could he have cheated on something like this? RD's not a cheater!

1. profile image0

I posted the same question on facebook and I figured it out just before I put it up here and left the answer there.  He looked.  But I enjoyed the various guesses.

Misha was probably most logical and I thought about it at one point but it didn't fit since it had nothing to do with the microwave.

1. habee profile image93

Ahhh...I see.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60

I resent the accusation that I cheated Sandra!  I didn't have to go anywhere to solve this simple problem.  I was well aware some appliances revert back to 12:00 when the power is interrupted. 

Being aware of this, the rest is merely simple math.  One of my favorite pastimes is doing expert logic problems.  Just because it took YOU a long time to figure it out doesn't mean the problem was difficult at all!  Sheesh!

Being accused of cheating on such a simple problem is insulting to me and is tantamount to calling me a liar!  Sorry, but as far as I know, I've never been on your Facebook page!

1. habee profile image93

RD, that reminds me - I'm so glad you introduced me to logic problems years ago. I bought a new logics problems book when we were in Gatlinburg. The Joneses couldn't understand why you and I find working such problems so much fun!

Logic problems are great for learning to look at all facets of a problem.  I am still pissed about being accused of cheating on such a simple problem!

1. habee profile image93

RD, you have to remember that not everyone thinks analytically or numerically. They might be very smart in other areas, however. I know you've always enjoyed problem solving, as do I, but not everyone is a nerd like us! lol

Perhaps I am taking this too personal, but I am not accustomed to being labeled a cheater.  Just because it took Sandra 3 weeks to solve a problem I answered in less than a minute is no reason for her to resort to unfounded accusations.

I suppose anyone who answered this question correctly would have been likewise accused!

1. profile image0

No Randy.  You know how when kids compete with each other and the loser goes, "you cheated" even though you know it isn't true but you just say it "funny like", not "you are a liar". 

At any rate I am sorry.  You are the last person I thought would take this so seriously.

If you had not further said I went to your FB page to get the answer, I would have let it slide, Sandra.  Perhaps I did overact but there was no indication you were kidding about this.  No lols, no smiley faces, nothing to indicate you were anything but serious.

I accept your apology, but I think I will avoid these types of questions from now on.

1. profile image0

Good, perhaphs you should. wink  Is that gud enuf for u?

2. profile image0

I am sorry for that then.  Didn't realize you would take it so personally.

8. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Sandra, in Randy's defense, I don't think he ever goes on FB!

9. zzron profile image57
    zzronposted 13 years ago

It appears that not all electrical devices are made the same requiring certain ones to need to be reset when the power is lost.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)