jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is anyone familiar with....

1. Rafini profile image87
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

Hi all, how are ya doing? 

My first week of summer classes went well and I'm looking forward to learning how to use a scientific calculator (I'll have to ask my daughter to teach me, lol). 

(Yeah!  I actually learned something in my Psychology class - I've never before understood the purpose of mingling or small talk, lol, I really rather prefer to get down to business. hmm lol )

Anyway, this week I received a message in my student email about the Riggio Honors Program: Writing and Democracy at The New School in NY, NY.  The subject line of the email said Interested in the Life of the Writer in New York City?  and naturally I'm interested.  However, I have no idea how they got my student email address (I can't believe they'd send the same message to all students...it doesn't make sense!) and, since I've never heard of the school before, I'm a little leery. 

Here's a link to their website, if you're interested, and if anyone's heard of or knows anything about this school I'd appreciate hearing about it.

The New School

Thanks!  Hope you're having a wonderful weekend, and I'll be right back.

Rafiniposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing nobody's heard of this New School?

2. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

Its a somewhat cutting edge/hippy university in New York.  I know they have has some faculty infighting and controversy but are basically a well know major school.  I would guess people aren't replying because they aren't really sure what you are asking.

Oh.  Well, your answer sums it up quite well.  Cutting edge, hippy, faculty infighting, controversy, but basically well-known major school.  That's pretty much what I was looking for - any idea on how the infighting affects student learning?  or what the controversy is about?

Thanks bunches. smile

3. psycheskinner profile image79
    psycheskinnerposted 6 years ago

I don't really remember the details but know I have heard of some conflicts between admin and staff, I think a faculty member was fired under dubious circumstances.  I doubt it effects the teaching all that much.  It is the kind of school that always has a lot going on.

Okay, thanks!  Think I'll google it (geez, why didn't i think of that before?  lol) and see what comes up.  Thanks again. smile

working