What did you do after you graduated from college?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (37 posts)
  1. rlaha profile image60
    rlahaposted 12 years ago

Did you find a job right away or did you take some time off to think what you wanted to do? Did you go straight into grad school? I'm just curious because I'm graduating on Thursday.  My ideal goal is to work but finding a job is tough right now. So I am weighing my options and think I should just go back to school this Fall.  What do you think?

1. smzclark profile image61
      smzclarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

how good are your qualifications? i wouldn't bother going back to school unless there's something more you need to learn to get on the ladder you want to be on. i didn't find a job right away, because i fell pregnant by default (no regrets like). i'm qualified enough to get jobs in many different areas, but only because i didn't know what i wanted to do (now i'm happy and settled in a decent job, but it did take some time). if you know what you want to do, keep your focus and get started. if you have any money left after all the study, it wouldn't be a horrible idea to take yourself on a vacation before all the hard work begins.

1. rlaha profile image60
        rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I want to teach Nutrition Education in schools and in the community.  I have a medical degree and will have a second undergrad degree in Nutrition Science (on Thursday).  I would probably at least need a masters to be able to teach, right?

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You'll need a masters to teach at the CC level, with at least 18 hours in the field in which you teach. Faculty positions at community colleges are hard to come by. You can often work as an adjunct (that way they don't have to pay benefits), but you still need the credentials if they're accredited.

I'd suggest getting some sort of work if you can while you're in grad school. It will make you much more competitive when you get the masters & look for a related position.

Meanwhile, to get some teaching experience, consider volunteering (you can sometimes get a nominal fee) to teach extended education or community school courses for non-credit. This will show the CC later on that you develop a syllabus and deliver course content. You could also volunteer to teach Lifetime Learning courses to seniors (many communities have programs like that).  Congrats on your degree, and good luck!

2. AshtonFirefly profile image70
      AshtonFireflyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I went on internship to Disneyworld...then I came back home to recover.

1. rlaha profile image60

Sounds like it was hectic. I would have thought it would have been a fun experience.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

It was fun...going to the parks as a guest. As an employee, it was...well...not so fun.

1. rlaha profile image60

Yeah, having to deal with irate customers LOL big_smile

1. AshtonFirefly profile image70

The guests weren't so bad. It was the managers who were the problem. We were just a number. Not real people. And since I was part of the college program, I was also stereotyped and disliked.

1. rlaha profile image60

Ah, sorry to hear that.

3. Dave Mathews profile image61
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

After graduating University, I began hunting for a job.

1. rlaha profile image60

smile

4. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I joined the big rat race...in the big city!

1. rlaha profile image60

smile

5. profile image52
      emilycookposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think a lot of people are now opting to go straight to grad school, because the economy is in a slump, jobs are hard to come by, and the more qualified you are, the greater your chances for employment. So rather than trying to gain employment in a time when jobs are scarce and they only have a Bachelor’s degrees, a lot of in my city are applying to the Master’s degree programs California colleges offer. This way, they can get into the job market when the economy has recovered and they are more hire-able.

1. rlaha profile image60

That is what I have opted to do.  The only problem is finding a good school for the program I am interested in.  Thanks!

2. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

I did a degree in microbiology then went to work for an engineering company!!!!

Couldn't find a job in my field, the engineering company was owned by a neighbor and my summer job became my full time career and I never once looked back.. Now degree qualified in my new profession which was done as I worked........

BUT... work for yourself if you can!!

1. rlaha profile image60

Wow that is interesting! Thank you for the advice!

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The trick is not to graduate and then think "what will I do now?".  Have a plan for what to do next *before* graduating.  One of the things you are there to do is network, get offers, solicit references etc.  Even doing a graduate degree without having carefully chosen your supervisor (or vice versa) is a recipe for disaster.

1. rlaha profile image60

Thanks for this advice! smile

4. calpol25 profile image58
    calpol25posted 12 years ago

When I graduated from college, I sat down had a ciggarette possibly a nervous breakdown after all those immense hours of study and then put the tele on and chilled for a few hours. lol lol lol

You have to have a plan of action, there is a saying here "failing to plan is planning to fail."

Seriously though, afterwards I had to have a think where I was going and what I wanted to do with my life, I ended up going into retail and never looked back at the same time I found hubpages and started to write.

And the rest as they say is history x smile

1. rlaha profile image60

Glad you got to breathe before working in retail.  Thanks! smile

1. calpol25 profile image58
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So was I, as you dont get time to breathe when you do work in retail. smile x

Your Welcome smile

1. rlaha profile image60

smile

5. Alma Cabase profile image58
    Alma Cabaseposted 12 years ago

I immediately went on a job hunt..^^

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 12 years ago

It was many moons ago and times (and the economy) and expectations were quite different then.
    I went directly to work.
    At an ad agency on Newbury Street in Boston.
    Thanks for bringing back some crazy memories!

But I do agree with those who say these days it's smart to just keep going to school if you can. Until there are more jobs out there!
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

1. rlaha profile image60

Thank you!

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I worked the entire time I was in college, because I was divorced with two kids to raise. My entire career has involved writing, first with a column for a major newspaper and later in PR-type positions where writing was crucial.  Then I ended up managing various divisions or units and doing legislative liaison work. All of it stemmed from starting out as a writer. I was asked to do some consulting about 14 years ago, and have been doing it ever since.

Writing is one of the most important skills you can learn. All managers need that skill, anyone looking for work needs to write well, and even careers not focused on writing need good communicators. 

Mighty Mom is right - stay in school and stick with it. We get so many applications for every opening now (I averaged more than 300 candidates for the last several positions I posted).  A degree is more important than ever. Why would a manager bring in a candidate with no degree when there are 75 others with the right academic credentials.

You can indeed succeed as a writer without a degree. But pay attention to GOOD writers and catch your own editing mistakes. Many Internet posts (including on this site) get published with glaring errors. Since bad writing is so commonly found on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace and other social sites, it's easy for people to assume something is written the 'right' way, but it's not.

Bottom line - get educated. If possible, get a degree.

1. rlaha profile image60

Thank you that is my plan. I want to see if I can get back into school this fall so that I can get a masters degree at least.

8. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 12 years ago

What did you do after you graduated from college?

- I went Surfing.. on waves.. not the net!

Believe me.. you can work quite hard on 14 foot waves! smile

1. rlaha profile image60

Hey that's great! I am glad you got the opportunity to do what you obviously love! smile

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I got a job as soon as I could.  If I couldn't get a job I was in training or a full time volunteer.  I don't know who can afford to just take time off, but not me. I can think about stuff after work.

10. bruzzbuzz profile image60
    bruzzbuzzposted 12 years ago

I went to work almost immediately but that was another time. It was in the late 70's. I have been working ever since. If I had to do it again, I think I would have taken a year off and traveled. I want to travel now that I am near retirement. Good luck to you. It always works out in the end when we accept what happens in our lives and make lemonade out whatever comes our way.

1. rlaha profile image60

I think a year off would have been nice for you since you have been working so much ever since you graduated.  Thank you!

11. Hui (蕙) profile image61
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

I am planning on a science fiction book about evolution and creation. By the way, I believe in evolution! big_smile

12. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 12 years ago

I got a job right outta college from a low-paying company. I then went to a better one but not before I went on a trip to Europe.  That's when they had the German mark, French franc. Yeah, I am in my early 40s. LOL

13. phillippeengel profile image81
    phillippeengelposted 12 years ago

The indomitable way to survive is to get a job, and yes, right after graduating from college. If not, where does money come from?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)