Social Class and Future Socioeconomic Success

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 12 years ago

The poor, middle class, and upper class are different.    However, poorer people are often more passive and fatalistic towards life than either the middle and/or upper classes.    Poorer people teach their children that life is often harsh, punitive, and that they are at the mercy of society.     Education is seldom emphasized in the environments of pooer people.   The inundation is to live from day to day.   Middle, especially the upper middle, and upper classes have a vastly different viewpoint of education and success.   They teach their children that anything is possible and that the world is their oyster.   Middle class and upper class people view life as a challenge to overcome.  They also believe in long term and long range planning which poor people do not do as they prefer to live from moment to moment without concern about the future.   Furthermore, they are proactive regarding life and believe in the value of education, especially tertiary education.   While poor people inundate their children to take JOBS, the middle and upper class inundate their children to have CAREERS.

1. Quilligrapher profile image72
      Quilligrapherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ms. Williams.  I thank you for posing such an interesting premise. The first sentence quoted above begs for a verifiable notation. I hope you have one to share.

While I respect your background and experiences, there is an obvious inference that class mobility is the product of class attitudes toward education. This may be true in some countries. However, in the U.S., I found considerable data to challenge this notion. Social advancement in America suffers more today because of growing inequality, i.e. the gap between the class rungs on the economic ladder are growing much further apart. Statistically, the average American is more likely to slide down the ladder than to climb higher.

Studies show the poor are not being hampered by their attitudes toward education but by the education system itself. An Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development report reveals the main cause of social immobility in the US is America's public schools. Rather than lifting poor children up, they are instead holding them down. The research shows children from disadvantaged backgrounds improve their prospects and benefit more from an increase of social mix within the schools. It was found to boost performance of disadvantaged students without any apparent negative effects on overall performance. Tracking and grouping students, on the other hand, has been proven to work against the most needy. (1)

There seems to be significant evidence to challenge the assumption class attitudes toward education are the leading factors affecting economic advancement.

Once again, my sincere thanks for launching this thread.

(1) http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/2/7/45002641.pdf

2. whoisbid profile image60
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

Education is relative. What is wrong with aborigines and the way they teach their children hunting traditions and survival in the desert? Are they poor people? Wealth and education mean different things to different people. Certain western medicine is useless in many cases for asians who believe in chinese medicine. What works for some, may not work for others. We cannot say that a Thai Chi Master is not educated.

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Sounds to me like you are using a lot of words to basically say laziness makes people poor--with the implication that this is somehow innate or "fitting".

My grandfather was an illiterate manual laborer, but cheerful, optimistic, a great Santa every year. Every one of his many kids graduated high school, three of them have university degrees. All are now middle class and above.

People are not "types" of a "class".  They are just people.  They changes within and between generations *but only if* they are given reasonable access to a safe home, good food and an education.

And "poor people" harvest food and coal and do crucial jobs that just don't happen to pay well. Making lots of money is not everything.

4. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

"What began as the documentary “Seven Up” in 1964 has turned into a lifelong chronicle, with director Michael Apted revisiting the subjects every seven years to create one of the most unusual real-life narratives in film history."
    The last one I saw, maybe the 35 one: not one had mobilized out of their class except the
    schizophrenic.

5. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

A documentary of 14 kids, 12 still taking part and a most ofthem started off middle to upper class.  I remember the kid who started in a one room country school and became a university professor. But as a sample of social mobility it is limited.  As a measure of personal motivation, even more so as wealth effects opportunity.

Even using the word "class" implies one has a station at birth.  I would reject that.

My grandads kids had free healthcare and schooling of a good quality.  I would suggest that most kids these days don't.

6. prettydarkhorse profile image54
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

it is cyclical, but then you need to get out of the cycle, you have a choice to better yourself. Status maybe transferred from one generation to the other by virtue of being in the family, but it is your choice to strive so that you can surpass the poor status of your family. The end thing is to be happy when you first satisfy your basic needs. Statuses are only based on the changing perceptions in the society and it can be a combination of profession/education wealth or whatever is deemed important in that society.

7. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

This is an interesting thread. I cannot and will not pretend to understand what occupies the minds of individuals from a particular "class" I can only speak of my own experience. My parents were poor, white and working class. My father passed  what was known as an "11+" exam which offered a place at a grammar school in the early 1940's. Unfortunately, his parents could not afford the required uniform so he was unable to attend. Both my mother and father left school at the age of 14 years, my mother barely literate as she missed so much time at school due to ill health.

They both worked hard and always placed great emphasis on the value of education. Both my sisters and brother entered the world of work at the age of 15 years. I left school at 16, but found higher education at the age of thirty. The only person in my family to go to university. It wasn't poverty that stalled my education, it was my mindset and peer influence. I disregarded my parent's wise words.

Children do not grow up in a vacuum, there are so many other factors that will influence the decisions they make. Finding a good school can be difficult for those who live in socially deprived areas, but educated parents can hold that school to account and demand a quality education for that child, I know, I have been a lone parent for the past nine years and I have. Likewise, which ever class we are born into, we can and should instill in our children the need to work hard and achieve as much as they are capable of. I'm a tough parent, I guess.

8. knolyourself profile image59

The most basic definition of class might be social mores, or how one behaves in social situations and one's knowledge of same therein.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, social class is not just about our assets and funds, but behaviour and level of education. Awareness can equate to great wealth!

9. knolyourself profile image59

Some very poor people I have met have had the most class as best manners and demeanor, and some rich people I have met had no clue how to behave
    whatever.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, whichever socioeconomic group they originate from, manners and respect for others are taught at home. That sounds more like bad parenting than a class issue. Maybe some people feel that their "status" excuses them from civility.

10. knolyourself profile image59

Your Canada Goose is cooked.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)