Would There Be A Reason For Concern?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Hey Hubbers,

My question is most likely going to be in the category of neuroscience which is something I know nothing about.

Having said that, my question is Would there be a reason for concern for a person who doesn't remember dreams?

This just came across my mind and elected to start a forum on it. Feel free to weigh in.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope... just means he/she doesn't rise quickly enough from REM sleep to theta sleep for the subconscious and conscious to meet smile

Seriously... it means that delta stage of sleep is slightly longer coming out of REM sleep than in most people.  In most cases not dangerous in the least.

*edit... That is making the assumption that all else is normal and all stages of sleep are reached.  You did say doesn't remember instead of doesn't dream.

Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, if one cannot remember any of their dreams, then how would they know that they had a dream(s)?

sleep study smile  Lots of neat gluey spikey probes stuck to your head and the rest of your body in a strange room with people watching you all night... This-of  course- leads to optimum sleeping conditions and a true read on your normal sleep patterns smile

I figured it would be something like that. wink

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Allow me to be the first non-neuroscientist to weigh in on this fascinating forum topic!
    It could indicate that the person in question is waking from restful sleep, of which dreams are not a part.
    On the other hand, the person could be really, really repressed.
    Or passed out.
    smile

Thank you Mighty Mom. Always nice to hear your thoughts. smile lol

3. Shanna11 profile image77
    Shanna11posted 11 years ago

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I wonder if the opposite is also cause for concern-- remembering every single one of your dreams? I remember almost all of my mine very clearly, no matter when I wake up. But I also sleepwalk and sleeptalk several nights a month, so I'm already mentally wired wrong...

*Grins* Actually it just means you are waking more often.  People with sleep apnea  have this problem so yeah it might be slightly more dangerous for you.

*edit... not a neurologist or anything professional...  Just something I've had cause to look into a lot... (two sleep walkers and a hubbie on cpap at night)

Good to know. smile

4. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

I stopped remembering any dreams for two decades, when I was smoking a lot of pot. I thought maybe the weed stopped my dreaming, or made me not remember it somehow. I mean, YEARS and YEARS went by before I cleaned up by habits and now I have dreams again all the time. So I'm sure it's the weed.

Oh, to answer your question, I see no need for concern, but maybe there is something suppressing this person's dreaming?

Sandy, it was just a random thought. I was curious to find out if there would be a reason to be concerned. But, thank you for the input. smile

5. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

I think the real concern is semi-memory or dream-fleeting in the technical speak. This is best exemplified in those dreams we all surely have where there are fields filled with hot and worshipful maidens bowing to you as you stand upon the mountain top. You can feel their adoration and lust as their eyes nearly burn you up with the carnal and, in many instances, nearly violent sexual thoughts they project upon you, and, just as you begin to start making your selections for said projections the dream gets interrupted and you wake; you remember it for that scant few minutes after, the visions there, concrete yet dissolving in a panicked sense of "OMG, Noooo!", you even vow to get back to it, trying to force yourself back to sleep to resume, but then, somehow, you do sleep, but that dream is lost and you never get to experience the oh-so-real experience of fertilizing so many comely young wombs, etc. You remembered AND forgot all for the same dream.

That, to my mind, is the most lamentable state of memory and dreams, that middle place, of remembering and then, alas, not.

As I'm sure we've all shared this same dream, I thought, in the interest of science, it was worth sharing.

1. Shanna11 profile image77
      Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always get the fields of creepy, gawky thirty year olds. Dang it....

1. Shadesbreath profile image76
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to reduce your fiber intake, and you can fix that right up.

2. Cagsil profile image69

lol lol lol lol
      Good to know. smile
      Not ever in my life have I ever had a dream of that manner. Not once. But, it was a great laugh. tongue lol

Well, there is always hope. Try to concentrate more when you go to sleep.

lol lol

3. Mighty Mom profile image77
      Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can honestly report I have never had that dream.
      Should I be concerned?
      lol

No need for concern, I just feel sorry for you. It's a really awesome dream.

1. profile image60
          logic,commonsenseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

and I'm pretty disappointed I didn't get an invite to that dream!  You have heard of sharing haven't you!  smile

lol lol

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Seriously, sleep apnea is not a joke and if you concerns, get it checked out.

Although I personally suspect sleep apne may be the "bipolar disorder" of the 2000s in that it seems to be a hot medical topic whenever I go to the doctor. Perhaps it's that they have this fancy dancy sleep lab and need a steady supply of guinea pigs (er, I mean patients) undergoing sleep testing to justify the expense.

Meanwhile, my problem is the opposite. I wish I could forget my dreams!
    *shudders*

1. janesix profile image60
      janesixposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Me too. I hate my dreams. Last night was an unending dream involving conan obrien, it was pretty bad. Seemed to last for hours

2. Shanna11 profile image77
      Shanna11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Last night I was convinced there were multiple snakes in my bed (and I do mean reptiles, not men! tongue) from the reptile shows I do at work.

I'm going crazy because I was more worried the snakes would die without their heating lamps, then the fact that there were possibly slithery serpents in my bed.

7. Melissa A Smith profile image96
    Melissa A Smithposted 11 years ago

Concern? I don't think so, it's rather normal. Every now and then one just 'sticks' for me, but they are really easy to forget once you get out of that state. My mind kind of goes wacky in REM sleep, it's another world.

Thank you. smile

8. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

There might be a concern if you stopped having dreams when you had them before. Stroke, meds, a mental condition maybe

Good to know.

9. Vellur profile image94
    Vellurposted 11 years ago

No reason for concern. It just means you are a good sleeper who does not take all your worries along when you go to sleep?? Or you must be a deep sleeper. Good you don't have dreams. I have scary one's and I get up sweating at times in the night.

Hey Vellur, nice to see you in the forums. This isn't about me. It's just a random thought that I wanted to share with others to see what they had to say.

Yes, I have good night sleep though. I've learned to train myself when my head hits the pillow to review my day, as in basic live it over again in my mind and look for things which I know I saw, but didn't focus on at the time.

It's a cool trick to release stress before sleep. wink

10. wltw profile image61
    wltwposted 11 years ago

It's the dreams we have when we're awake that keep us going. Freud's theory is that dreams are unconscious wishes but I think he drank his own bathwater. I think what we interpret as "dreams" is just the mind going over recent events and then sorting out the good from the bad and committing the former to long term memory and the latter to New Jersey. If you want to start remembering your dreams keep a pad and pencil by the bed and the instant you wake up start writing. Over time, this triggers the "better late than never reflex" in the medulla oblingata and soon you'll be spouting your dreams to everyone which might not be a good idea. I know nothing about neuroscience either, I'm running on imagination like you.

Thank you for your input. smile

11. Shawn May Scott profile image61
    Shawn May Scottposted 11 years ago

Have your friend try a small amount of Clarey Sage on a cotton ball and place it near the bed. That will not only bring on dreams if no dreams are occurring but it will help with remembering all or parts of a dream when waking. Also sleep depth and quality depend on the persons state of exhaustion. If we are far too tired then we do not sleep well as we pass out or drop from the need to sleep. Sleep should be something that we ease into peacefully and our dreaming minds can take over. If this person is over 40 (or close to) have them get their B12 level checked that can affect all kinds of body fucntions including sleep and the ability to reach REM sleep. Good luck and I wish you and your friend well!!! smile

I appreciate your input also. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)